Camping Safety Tips

Sponsored Content

FIRE SAFETY

First and foremost, be sure to check the policies about campfires in the area you’re camping in. Also be aware of what level the fire danger signs are at in your area.

Once you know you can have a campfire, you have to find a good area to build your fire. Make sure your fire location isn’t under or near any low-hanging branches or bushes and that there is a radius of eight to ten feet around the fire pit from where your camping equipment and tents are.

When building the fire, try to keep it contained; either by a metal ring or surround the pit with rocks. This helps keep the fire contained as it gets bigger. And be sure to clear grass, garbage, and any flammable items from the area surrounding the fire pit.

WILD ANIMAL SAFETY

No matter the animal, there are some general things you can do to help avoid getting injured by a wild animal.

Make loud enough noises to keep animals away

Don’t approach or surprise an animal

Don’t get close to their food source

Don’t approach or startle a mother with babies

Don’t go off the trail after dark

IF YOU ENCOUNTER A MOUNTAIN LION

Become as big as possible and stand next to other people.

Make a lot of noise and wave your arms.

Do not try to run past or from a mountain lion.

IF YOU ENCOUNTER A BEAR

Wave your arms over your head calmly and stand your ground.

If you come across cubs, back away since the mother is not far from there.

If a bear stomps or huffs, give it space.

Never turn your back on the bear or run away.

IF YOU ENCOUNTER A COYOTE

Avoid trails and dark places around dusk, this is when they’re more likely to appear.

If it is ready to charge, it might bark for a long time, follow you, or rear its hind legs.

If you feel threatened, throw stones in the general direction of it, not directly at it.

Try to be as loud as you can.

IF YOU ENCOUNTER A SNAKE

If it is slithering across your path, stop moving as it may perceive movements as a threat.

If it is sitting still near or on the trail, slowly walk around it, giving it enough space so it doesn’t feel threatened.

IF YOU ENCOUNTER A MOOSE 

Unlike most wild animal safety tips, running away if you see a moose will be your best defense.

Run for cover or climb a tree.

If it does knock you down, cover your head and curl into a ball until the moose leaves

OTHER GENERAL RULES AND TIPS

Remember to bring and put on bug spray to keep the mosquitos away. Also don’t forget to bring enough water for your trip, enough for roughly eight 8 oz glasses every day. It is a good idea to bring a first aid kit in case of a minor accident. And make sure to keep your campsite clean of trash, dirty dishes, and open leftover food. This isn’t only good camping etiquette, but if you leave this stuff out it could attract unwanted animals. If you keep these tips in mind, you should have a good camping experience.