Tips for college freshmen: Eating at dining halls

For incoming freshmen, dining hall food is usually one of the less appealing aspects of starting college. 

Dining halls across the country have gained the reputation of lacking dietary options and having low-quality food, but Colorado State University is trying to challenge this by adding homegrown ingredients and healthy options. According to the Coloradoan, CSU has poured approximately $35 million into revamping the dining halls and providing more variety for students.

Hungry freshmen, fear not. Below is a list of dining halls on campus to help you start your semester off nutritiously. 

The Rating System:

Each dining hall is rated out of Five on the categories of dietary options, food quality, atmosphere and overall experience. These scores are then compiled and given a comprehensive score out of 20. 

Braiden:

Braiden is definitely the most conveniently located of the dining halls, juxtaposed at the center of the busiest part of campus. As nice as it is to grab a quick bite between classes, the relatively small seating area in Braiden does not accommodate the masses of other students rushing in for their lunch break. The cramped seating and outdated decor makes for a crowded and uncomfortable experience. The food variety is average, with a popular sub/sandwich station, but coming to Braiden every day can get a bit bland. Vegan and gluten-free options are limited. 

Dietary Options: 3/5

Food Quality: 4/5

Atmosphere: 2/5

Overall Experience: 3/5

Final Score: 12/20

Durrell: 

It’s a bit of a hike to get to Durrell from the center of campus, but the dining options and atmosphere are worth it. Durrell offers a variety of high-quality dietary options that change from day to day. The star of the show is the waffle bar, which provides all-day breakfast action. The seating area is spacious and provides a variety of different seating options from smaller tables to private booths. 

Dietary Options: 4/5

Food Quality: 5/5

Atmosphere: 5/5

Overall Experience: 4/5

Final Score: 18/20

The Foundry:

Completed in 2018, the newest dining hall on campus is conveniently placed between the Corbett and Parmelee residence halls. The Foundry is comprised of eight mini-restaurants where students can take their pick on international foods, a pasta bar and even a Kosher section, to name a few. This dining hall also features a variety of local foods, from home-grown lettuce, fresh eggs for morning omelettes and sweets from Fort Collins’ own Walrus Ice Cream. The Foundry has a spacious seating area with a lot of variety for when you want to eat lunch with your 12 closest friends or enjoy a meal alone while studying. 

Dietary Options: 5/5

Food Quality: 5/5

Atmosphere: 5/5

Overall Experience: 5/5

Final Score: 20/20 

Allison:

Allison’s best quality is that it features a Fort Collins favorite, Spoons, which serves up nutritious, homemade soups and salads. In addition to this local favorite, this dining hall also has a variety of stations that provide smoothies, fruit and bagels for breakfast. There are a lot of seating options, including an outdoor seating area perfect for warmer Colorado days. The food quality can be a bit inconsistent, but the vegetarian and gluten-free options make this dining hall accessible to anyone.

Dietary Options: 5/5

Food Quality: 3/5

Atmosphere: 4/5

Overall Experience: 3/5

Final Score: 15/20

Ram’s Horn at Academic Village: 

Ram’s Horn prides itself on its international selection, from pasta to Tex-Mex. A popular asset to this dining hall is the Mongolian Grill, which allows students to assemble their own stir-fry with a variety of options for meats and toppings. The dietary options are limited, and vegetarian students may find themselves having to resort to the salad bar often. The atmosphere is a bit dark and outdated, but there are large seating areas for students, which makes it an ideal place for a break between classes.

Dietary Options: 3/5

Food Quality: 4/5

Atmosphere: 4/5

Overall Experience: 4/5

Final Score: 15/20

Lauryn Bolz can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @BolzLauryn.