What’s for dinner with Audrey: Homemade cheesy fries perfect for potato fans

I’m a huge fan of potatoes, so much so that I’m going as a sack of them for Halloween. I special ordered some burlap sacks off Amazon and everything! If none of that is proof enough that I take my tots seriously, this recipe should do the trick. 

What’s for dinner: homemade cheesy fries.

Ingredients:

-3 Russet Potatoes — $2.99 /5lb bag

-1 cup mozzarella cheese — $3.99 per bag

-salt, pepper, cajun seasoning/cayenne, oil as needed

Total: $6.98

Directions

1. The trick to super delicious and crispy French fries is frying them twice. But my potatoes aren’t fried to the point of a heart attack waiting to happen. To get a similar effect, start by bringing three quarts of salted water to a boil. 

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 

3. Slice your potatoes into fry-sized strips. When the water is boiling, drop in the potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes, and then scoop them onto a paper towel to dry. 

4. Drizzle some oil directly onto a sheet pan. Throw the potato slices on top, and add salt, pepper and cajun seasoning of your choice (Slap Ya Mama or Tony Cachere’s are both good choices).

5. Toss the potatoes slices in the spice and oil mixture until all pieces are evenly coated. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the fries are tender when punctured by a fork.

6. If the fries aren’t quite as brown and beautiful as you’d like, turn on the broiler for 3-5 minutes until they reach the desired color and consistency. 

7. Throw your cheese right on top of the pan, or put your fries in a bowl and cover with cheese. The cheese pulls will be divine.

Enjoy!

Audrey Weiss can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com and on Twitter @audkward.