6 cheesy Netflix movies for a Halloween night in

There are a few things synonymous with the Halloween season: costumes, candy and cheesy-as-hell horror movies. Not much is better than settling down and getting a kick out of low-budget special effects and poor acting in an attempt to scare.

Here are six Netflix movies that basically exemplify the term “corny” to get into the Halloween spirit.

1. Stephen King’s “Children Of the Corn” (1984)

This thriller based off a Stephen King novel is heralded as a cult classic and can make you question the innocence of children. This horror story concerns a town populated  by murderous children, with spooky supernatural occurrences and a twisting plot. A stereotypical ’80s horror movie with starring mostly children, you can expect a lot of corny acting and cheesy special effects.

2. “Scooby-Doo” (2002)

The live-action “Scooby-Doo” is a surprisingly well-done homage to the cheesy horror movies of the ’80s. While not a horror movie, it emulates everything old monster movies did, replicating the cheesy acting and special effects, including a CGI rendition of Scooby-Doo. While being family friendly, the 2002 “Scooby-Doo” movie definitely deserves a watch if you’re in a light Halloween mood.

Cheesy classics for further watching:

• “Friday the 13th”
  • “Night of the Living Dead”
  • “Killer Klowns from Outer Space”
  • “Troll 2”
  • “Attack of the Killer Tomatoes”
  • “Leprechaun 1-4”
  • “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”

3. “Hellraiser” (1987)

“Hellraiser” is a horror movie about a sadomasochist named Frank who opens a portal to hell in his home. He is killed and the unlucky couple who moves in must deal with what ensues after accidentally bringing what’s left of Frank back to life. If that’s not already a cheesy setup, “Hellraiser” is full of ridiculous special effects, acting and costuming, but was so popular it spawned nine sequels. 

4. “Scream 4” (2011)

The “Scream” franchise was conceived as a lampoon of slasher movies, and as such, some built-in cheese is expected. However, with its self-aware nature, “Scream 4″ ends up being a wonderful watch with a combination of comedy and horror. To clarify, all the ‘”Scream” movies are great, but “Scream 4′” is the only one left on Netflix.

5. “Most Likely to Die” (2015)

While not an exceptional movie, “Most Likely to Die” is a wacky modern take on the slasher horror genre. A high school reunion party ends up terrorized by a murderer in a graduation gown and razor-sharp cap he uses to kill. The delight in this movie comes from the half-hearted performances and the downright silly design of the murderer. If you’re looking for a laughable slasher, look no further than “Most Likely To Die.”

6. “Mad Ron’s Prevues From Hell” (1987)

This one is different because it’s not exactly a movie, but rather a compilation of old horror previews from the ’60s and ’70s. These previews drive the cheese factor to the max with now-outdated gore and other special effects front and center, showing the horror elements people want without any extensive plot. These previews are old horror in its purest form and the voiceovers are so frequent throughout they are simply amazing. If you watch at least one of the movies on the list, let it be this one.

Jalen Winfrey can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @jalen_winfrey.