Gregory Allicar Museum of Art to host free concerts in April

As the last full month of school arrives, the motivation might decrease for some. The Gregory Allicar Museum of Art is offering possible musical interludes for studying.

The Museum, located in the University Center for the Arts, has planned four free concerts this April.

UCA building with flowers in the foreground.
View of the UCA building from among the rows of flowers at the UCA Trial Gardens. (Ashley Potts | Collegian)

The first two concerts will both happen on April 10, the first at noon and the second at 6 p.m., as a part of the music in the museum series.

This is the second season that the Gregory Allicar Museum of Art and the School of Music, Theatre and Dance are collaborating on a visual and auditory performance to explore “the cross-fertilization between music and the visual arts,” according to a press release.

There will be performances by Colorado State University music faculty with an explanation of the history of a piece given by the Department of Art and Art History and the School of Music, Theatre and Dance. Both performances are free and can be reserved at artmuseum.colostate.edu/music-museum-concert-seriesat.

The third concert is April 20 at 3 p.m. This performance is titled “April Fools Songs” and will be performed by the Denver Art Song Project, which “presents innovative, themed art song programs that use spoken word, art and super-titles.  Their mission is to create an art song community of professional performers and audience through recitals, online programs, educational outreach, and recordings,” according to their website.

The idea of this performance is to perform a compilation of classical art songs with a comical side, as art song is a piece usually with one voice accompanied by a piano. This performance is an opportunity to experience art songs for those who are not familiar with them. It will include pieces from foreign songs to modern comedic takings, according to a press release.

Four Free Concerts

“Music in the Museum Concert Series”: April 10, noon and 6 p.m.

“April Fools Songs”: April 20, 3 p.m.

“Javanese Gamelan Music Concert”: April 27, 3 p.m.

The fourth and final concert will be April 27 at 3 p.m. This performance is titled “Javanese Gamelan Music Concert.” The Javanese Gamelan Music and Dance comes from Indonesia and is described as an “Indonesian cultural highlight,” according to a press release. Gamelan orchestra is an ensemble of music made up mostly of percussion instruments and is used in part for teaching world music classes in universities in Colorado and across the nation.

The Javanese Palace culture, including traditional pieces of gamelan music and dance, were considered sacred and were to only be performed in the Javanese Palace Community, according to a press release. However, now it has been expanded into foreign countries and the public can experience the culture. This concert will be performed by ARCINDA, a Fort Collins/Loveland based non-profit that performs Javanese Gamelan music. They will be performing both classic and contemporary music with the hopes of the audience experiencing the difference.

Collegian reporter Maddie Wright can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @maddierwright.