CSU Fall Dance Capstone Concert displays the power of performance

The CSU Fall Dance Capstone Concert on Dec. 9 and 10 featuring seniors Katie McClendon, Amnita Remisosky, Devyn Lee and Lauren Kotre displayed the senior dance majors in solo pieces as well as their own choreographed pieces featuring a multitude of dancers.

The show was comprised of entirely visual performances which used lighting, graphics, gobos and fog to compliment their pieces and enhance their complex dance themes. There were moments in the show that included silhouettes and top light to showcase the fluid motions and dance moves.

The show featured seven pieces choreographed by the four seniors, each one different in many ways. The actual choreography and themes of each individual dance were very different from each other, and they also played with varying dance outfits to bring focus to the performers.

Each senior showed a piece that they choreographed along with a solo performed by them.

The show started with McClendon’s piece titled “Roots and Wings.” It was pretty and fluid followed by her solo “Finalis Chorea.”

“My piece is from the quote, ‘remember your roots trust your wings,’ so the first section is about having fun and kind of my childhood and how it was really joyful and an overall great experience, really playful, and then the second section is just about having unexpected (things) in life and just getting through the not happy times,” McClendon said. “The third section is about powering on through what you want to do and be hopeful and pushing on.”

The second set of performances was by Remisosky titled “In a Soldier’s Mind.” The theme was very different from McClendon’s. It remained personal, but the focus changed to issues surrounding the issue of post-traumatic stress disorder.

“My group piece is about PTSD, and I guess my solo is too,” Remisosky said. “It’s personal because I am using it as therapy for my experience with dealing with my husband’s PTSD. I’m just trying to use dance to bring light to an issue that is still not talked about enough and not well enough understood, and I’m using my art to do that.”

The third set of pieces were choreographed by Lee and continue on with the personal aspect of all the pieces. Her group piece was titled “Carrying Forward.” Lee’s solo titled “One Last Dance” was dedicated to her brother who passed away in 2015.

“My group piece is about internal struggle and being able to move on from them, and then my solo is just about personal loss that I’ve endured,” Lee said.

Kotre’s performances wrapped up the show. While her pieces were personal to who she is and reflected her experience, her solo was relatable to all college students in that it reflected how quickly our experience here goes.

“My solo is called ‘Still Frame,’ and what I tried to convey was basically a flash fast photo I’ve taken of my life in college because it’s just gone by so quickly, and it’s just gone in a flash, but I wish I could pause it forever,” Kotre said.

Kotre changed gears for her group piece titled “Salem.”

“My group piece is actually something I’ve wanted to do since high school because I loved history, so I wanted to take, to me, an interesting part of history and translate it into movement and choreography, and I love what it’s given me,” Kotre said.

There were some elements of the show that felt like what you would expect from a dance show, but other parts of the show that were surprising and shocking. Each piece was different from the last making it a show with something for everyone.

The dances had showed mastery of dance elements such as symmetry and shape that the choreographers learned throughout their time in the program.

The music from piece to piece was also very different and enhanced the theme of the piece.

The show demonstrated what the CSU dance program is capable of while saying a goodbye to these four seniors.