Homecoming weekend brings first tasting of CSU and Odell collaboration beer

This year’s homecoming will give students and their families a chance to try a brand new brew created by business and fermentation students.

The College of Business is celebrating their 50th anniversary this year. The celebration led a collaborative effort with Odell’s Brewing Company’s new pilot system to create a brand new brew called the Stalwart Golden Ale.

Students and graduates from colleges all across Colorado State University were asked to submit ideas for the name and label design.

The four finalist for this competition were tested by Nielsen. All the designs received high scores for unique approaches and even a couple of them outperformed traditional companies.

Ultimately, Abby Lawson, a 2011 CSU graduate, won with her design. During her time at CSU, Lawson studied graphic design and now works as a web designer in Denver. Lawson’s design incorporated the Rocky Mountains, Aggies A and a ram. All of these elements helped her design rise to the top.

One of the coolest things about the commemorative brew is that all ingredients are 100 percent Colorado sourced. Project managers for the Stalwart Golden Ale not only worked to pick the ingredients but helped with the brewing process as well.

The Stalwart Golden Ale will soon be available in both the Odell Brewing’s Tap Room and CSU’s own Ramskeller Pub. The first tasting for the brew will take place over homecoming weekend on Saturday Oct. 8. The tasting will occur at the College of Business’ 50th Birthday Bash.