City Park Food Truck Rally ending season in two weeks

Hop on a bike, leash up the dog and head down to City Park because the weekly FoCo Food Truck Alliance Food Truck Rally only has two dates left before ending its season, and it won’t return again until next May.

this is an image
Fort Collins community members enjoy dinner at the City Park Food Truck Rally. Photo courtesy of McKenzie Coyle

For the past two summers, over 15 food trucks and local musicians have been gathering at City Park every Tuesday to offer a plethora of tasty food choices in a laid-back, family and pet-friendly environment. September 20 and 27 will be your last two chances to check it out this year.

From Asian fusion to Belgian style waffles and Maine lobster rolls to soft served frozen fruit, “everyone can find something to eat,” said Sarah Ladley, owner of Ba-nom-a-nom, the oldest original Fort Collins food truck. Ladley is also a leader within the FoCo Food Truck Alliance, which works to organize the seasonal event.

You can expect to see some rotation in the attending trucks every week, although, older and more established vendors get spaces more frequently, while newer trucks might get a spot every other week.

Next week’s lineup includes Silver Seed, Umami, Taco Stop, Waffle Lab, Piadina, Goodness, Lobster Shack, Nomad, Gunter’s Bavarian, Sustainable Spoon, Common Link, Human Bean, Ba-nom-a-nom, A-maiz’n Kettle Korn, Bike Wrench and Acey Designs with with music from Shaley Scott.

The rally evolved from humble roots in 2012 when Ladley’s truck, along with Umami, Cupcake Cruiser and the notorious Waffle Lab, began meeting up for mini-rallies in the lot in front of Pateros Creek Brewing Company downtown. The gatherings were sporadic and less organized but successful nonetheless.

Over time, the FoCo Food Truck Alliance developed. In 2015, the group asked the City of Fort Collins for permission to host the weekly rallies at City Park. The summer of 2015 was “pretty experimental,” according to Ladley, but the event has gained an impressive following since then.

Ladley works closely with other food truck owners like Taylor Smith of Silver Seed and Sarah Gilman of Umami to organize the gatherings. With all the trucks pitching in on things like permits, restrooms and live music, a sense of community can be seen among the vendors. Small local sponsorships also aid in costs.

The remaining 2016 rallies will take place on the south side of the park at Sheldon and Mulberry Street, and the food trucks will open at 5:30 p.m. and close at dusk. Entrance is always free, and CSU students enjoy a $1 off discount.

Attendees are encouraged to bring blankets or lawn chairs for picnic-style seating in the grass, according to the event’s website. Also, be sure to check the alliance’s Facebook page for weather cancellations as they do sometimes occur.

After the rally season ends, there are plenty of opportunities to visit your favorite food truck. Many operate trucks year-round, and you can expect to find them outside local breweries like O’dell or New Belgium.

For more information on the FoCo Food Truck Alliance and the City Park Food Truck Rally, visit Facebook.com/FocoFoodTruckAlliance.