What to do in Fort Collins on the Fourth of July

Downtown "Old Town" Fort Collins
Downtown “Old Town” Fort Collins (photo credit: Wikipedia)

Fireworks, barbecue and patriotism – the Fourth of July serves as a summer celebration of U.S. history and a reminder that summer is flying by.

Numerous events are taking place in Fort Collins this Friday. Between setting off fireworks, popping open beers and wailing obscene lyrics from “Team America,” check out these happenings around town.

FireKracker 5K

Where: City Park, 413 Bryan Ave.

When: 7:30 a.m.

Cost: $25 for adults, $20 for youths (17 and under), $10 for veterans and active military members

To kick the holiday off with some good-old-fashioned exercise, wake up and sprint to the FireKracker 5K. There are several different runs, and participants are encouraged to go at their own pace.

Fourth of July Parade

Where: Mountain Avenue

When: 9:30 a.m.

Cost: Free

A long-running Fort Collins tradition, the Fourth of July Parade kicks off bright and early. The parade will feature floats and music. It starts at Jackson Avenue and Mountain Avenue, continuing down Mountain and ending at Meldrum Street.

Old Timer’s Baseball Game

Where: City Park ballfields, 1599 City Park Drive

When: 9:30 a.m.

Cost: $6 for adults, $4 for children and seniors, free for children 3 and younger and active military

Relive America’s favorite pastime with this blast from the past on the City Park ballfields.

Old-fashioned Fourth of July

Where: Avery House Historic District, 328 W. Mountain Ave.

When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Cost: Free

Enjoy historic activities, games, food and fun in one of Fort Collins original districts.

Fourth of July Celebration at City Park

Where: City Park, 413 S. Bryan Ave.

When: 4:15 p.m.

Enjoy some live music from the Colorado Swing Band, Manabi Salsa Band and the Fort Collins Symphony before the fireworks display kicks off.

Summertime Jazz Concert

Where: The Global Museum of Arts and Cultures, 200 West Mountain Ave.

When: 5 p.m. through 8 p.m.

Cost: Free

The Global Museum of Arts and Cultures will be hosting their Summertime Jazz Concert, featuring Dixieland jazz by Le Jazz Band. Stop by to enjoy the music before heading to the firework display.

City Park Fireworks

Where: City Park

When: Approximately 9:35 p.m.

Cost: Free

What better way to end the Fourth and celebrate America than a great firework show? City Park will be the ideal place to drag a fold-out chair to Friday night and marvel over some seriously explosive displays. Enjoy some live music from the Colorado Swing Band, Manabi Salsa Band and the Fort Collins Symphony before the fireworks start at approximately 9:35 p.m. In case of  bad weather, will be delayed until no later than 10 p.m. If the weather is not cleared by then, the display will be July 5 at dusk. In case of bad weather, fireworks may be delayed until no later than 10 p.m. If the weather is not cleared by then, the display will be July 5 at dusk.

However you choose to celebrate Independence Day this year, Fort Collins is offering a multitude of options to make for a memorable holiday. Happy Fourth of July!

Collegian Editors Keegan Williams and Hannah Hemperly can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.