Diplo’s “Random White Dude Be Everywhere” album review

DIPLO
DIPLO (Photo credit: Party Stuff by CS)

After building his name as a master remixer, electronic guru and M.I.A.’s go-to producer, Diplo has garnered a notable reputation in the electronic music scene.

Diplo’s newest collaborative effort, “Random White Dude Be Everywhere,” came out Tuesday, giving listeners a collection of different vocalists, remixes and a lot of trap. The album is a collection of songs that have already been released, with new music from the artist included as well.

The album is undeniably meant for the clubs. Each song has a drop that predictably appears about 40 to 60 seconds in, with several follow-up drops during the remainder of the song. Regardless of the repetitive pattern, several songs on the album stand out above the others.

The album opens with “Revolution,” which features artists Faustix & Imanos and Kai. With a minimalist start and female vocals reminiscent of Sia, the song slowly builds up to a drop that seems like a house-y trap hybrid. Deep sirens hop throughout the beat and juggle higher tones along with it. Once the song slows down again, the listener gets a break while preparing for the next big electronic statement of the song. As the song ends, it becomes clear that the listener is in for an aggressive, electronic ride in the remaining 11 tracks.

“Boy Oh Boy” is sure to be another crowd pleaser for those looking to get down surrounded by strobe lights. With a fist-bumping drop transitioning to a slower, bass-fueled climax, it’s hard not to at least tap your foot to this song. The song is the perfect length, as the beat starts to get tiring around the 2 minute and 30 second mark.

The Thugli remix of “Boy Oh Boy” is a great compliment to the original track, as it follows the opposite pattern. The beat gently introduces itself to the listener in the first minute, before finally building to the inevitable drop. As the song goes on, the beats begin to get faster. This allows listeners to draw an interesting comparison between the two versions of the song.

Unfortunately, some of the songs either fall off at the end or take half the song to get going.

The Rickyxsan Remix of “Freak” is a prime example. Nearly the first half of the song consists of annoying vocal glitches with typical house beats. It takes until the second half to slow down and introduce a drop that is actually new-sounding and interesting.  Does anyone really want to endure half of a mediocre song to get to the juicy ending?

Knowing Diplo’s remix work and his music from the past, it seems odd that there is not more variety on the album. There were opportunities for Diplo to slow it down and go a more minimalist, experimental route with his beats, as he has done before. Recently, Diplo released a remix of Lorde’s “Tennis Court” that exhibited an exceptional spin on the Grammy-winning artist’s debut single. Where was even a trace of this on the album?

Most of the album is difficult to listen to in an everyday setting. Unless you’re getting turnt in the club or driving excitedly with speakers up and windows down, this album can be taxing and repetitive to listen to.

The song “Techno” is littered with lyrical content like, “Yo, my trap going techno” and “I got the club jumping like a thousand jumping jacks.” Let’s not forget the segment of the song dedicated to yelling the phrase, “Turn up!”

“Freak” features another vocalist that sort of yell-raps throughout the song. The vocals emphasize being a freak, repeating the phrase, “Let’s get freaky!” Songs like this make the album relatively difficult for a casual listening experience, because it’s hard to be in the “freaky” mood while sober and performing everyday activities.

“Random White Dude Be Everywhere” is an interesting collection of trap beats and vocal contributions from a handful of artists. Diplo falls short in providing listeners with a variety of electronic sounds, as the entire album ends up blending together. Certain tracks shine, but most of the album sounds like any other club track.

Listen to “Random White Dude Be Everywhere” here:

Collegian Features and Entertainment Editor Keegan Williams can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.