Daily guide to avoiding finals

Rock Band
Rock Band (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Ah, finals week. The anxiety and anticipation of exams, but also the boredom. Let’s face it, we have way too much time on our hands and we most likely will not be spending every second studying. So instead of spending time stressing, try decompressing with a few of these local events happening around Fort Collins this week:

Monday:

Ease into finals week with a few laughs. Starting at 7 p.m., comedian Bob Gaudet and RapidFireEntertainment present free Stand-up Comedy at Hodi’s Half Note Theatre ($5 for those under 21). This show will surely be a crowd pleaser, especially with its attractive price tag. Local comedians are welcome to participate. Reserve your tickets at http://hodishalfnote.com or visit the theatre at 167 N College Ave.

Tuesday:

Take a hike and renew your Aggie pride. Adele Vrooman, a junior biology major, has hiked to the ‘A’ five times and said that it always brings a sense of accomplishment.

“Every time I feel like I’ve conquered something and like I’m joining kind of a greater community of CSU students,” she said. “It’s a landmark, it’s huge.”

This historic monument is a connection to both the present Ram Community and most of its alumni.

Royce Hoffner, a senior English major, says that the hike is a way for him to connect with generations past.

“Both my parents went to CSU and some of my grandparents so it’s kind of cool to look back and see that they’ve probably been up there and I’m seeing the exact same thing they saw,” he said.

Especially for those graduating seniors, this hike is a great setting to think back on memories of your time at CSU.

Wednesday:

Ever wanted to be in a rock band? Well, this Wednesday you have a chance to rock a live performance through CSU Theatre’s Rock Band Project, happening from 6:30-8p.m. at the University Center for the Arts, located at 1400 Remington St.

Students take center-stage in a simulated rock concert that is part performance – through RockBand 3 on an Xbox 360 – and part lighting design. This is the ten-year anniversary of the project, and this event is free and open to the public. Reserve your seat at http://central.colostate.edu.

Thursday:

With the end of school for some and a short break for others, Thursday is the day to try something you would never usually do. Go sign up to be a nude model for ART 136. Go fishing in the University Pond. The options are endless.

Friday:

Free tasting and presentations of some up-and-coming food and drink venues abound in downtown Fort Collins at the May Foodie Walk, from 5-8p.m. This is a guided walk for people interested in learning about cuisine from local restaurants, or people who just like to taste free samples from places like Kilwin’s Chocolates & Ice Cream, Happy Lucky’s Teahouse and Treasures and The Welsh Rabbit Tea Shop.

Collegian Reporter Sierra Cymes can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.