CSU Music Therapy host fundraiser at Avogadro’s Number

CSU is home to one of the nation’s leading music therapy programs, and they need Ram support. They’re holding a fundraiser

at Avogadro’s Number, Thursday, Apr. 17, at 6:30 p.m., where the O’Connor Brothers Band and music therapy students will perform around a silent auction.

According to Music Therapy Student Association Vice President Amanda Rodriguez, a senior, the American Music Therapy Association defines music therapy as the physically, mentally and emotionally therapeutic use of music in a clinical environment.

“I am involved with music therapy mainly because it combines my two greatest passions in life: music and helping others,” Rodriquez said. “It was an amazing feeling when I realized I didn’t have to give one of those passions up in order to pursue the other. Plus, I think it’s the coolest job anyone could have.”

Rodriguez said MTSA is an excellent opportunity for fellow music therapy students to network among themselves, in addition to practicing professionals, and that they plan to use their returns from the fundraiser to give back to and make a difference in the Fort Collins community at large.

According to MTSA President Tricia Hickle, a master’s equivalency student, that community outreach includes paying for assistive technology for people with special needs, and she hopes that those who go to the fundraising event will connect community over local music and noble causes.

“We are aiming to raise awareness of the benefits of music therapy in our community and how music therapy helps individuals with special needs to achieve quality of life,” Hickle said. “People can expect to have a great time, interact with their community, and learn about a worthy cause.”

According to MTSA Treasurer Emily Stewart, a sophomore, music therapy is a synthesis of her three passions for music, psychology and neurology. It also brings her closer together with a broader sense of community.

“People should come support the event because it will be a really great time, and the guests will be able to hear some of the amazing students of CSU music therapy,” Stewart said. “Hopefully, guests will take away a renewed sense of community, along with one of our fabulous silent auction items.”

Collegian Entertainment Staff Writer Hunter Goddard can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.