Five Valentine’s Day gifts to get your man

Gina's own recipe. Delicious!
Gina’s own recipe. Delicious! (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Valentine’s Day comes along with a lot of pressure. Not just for the man, but for the woman as well. While men carefully pick specific flowers from the florists and cheerfully choose chocolates from Russell Stover, women creatively try to decipher the best gifts for their men. Thinking of affordable, yet thoughtful, gifts for a grown man can be a difficult feat to accomplish. Here are five non-traditional things to surprise your sweetheart with this Valentine’s Day.

M&M’S ($20-30)

This Valentine’s Day, surprise your boyfriend with custom designed M&M’s. At mymms.com, you can personally create M&M’s with a certain message or picture on them. Include a cute pick up line, sweet message, or add a picture of you and your guy onto his favorite color M&M. It’s a fun and adorable way to tell him how you feel and M&M’s always win smiles.

Hot Sauce ($30-40)

Chances are, your man enjoys the grill, and loves a good sauce to go with his meat and veggies. At gourmetmikes.co, you can pick and choose through gift sets and samplers of gourmet sauces for his spicy pallet. Prices range to accommodate your budget. You can never go wrong with a saucy gift for your guy.

Beer ($20-30)

Fortunately, beer is a suitable gift for almost any occasion, and almost every man. On the 14th, gift your sweetheart with an assortment of beers brewed locally in Fort Collins. The brews can be found close to campus. Try Supermarket Liquors located at 1300 E. Mulberry St. Nothing beats a hand-selected pack of locally brewed beer.

Monthly Shaving Supplies ($1-18)

You might be thinking “Why would I gift my guy with razors for Valentine’s Day?” What you don’t know is that these razors are hand picked by you from Dollar Shave Club (dollarshaveclub.com) and delivered right to your man’s doorstep. Fresh razors every month with fresh blades, and even an added shave butter to make your man’s face extra silky. Help your guy stay soft and smooth this Valentine’s Day.

DIY (Free!)

If you are more of a crafty woman, then maybe you want to consider writing your sweetheart a letter, making him his favorite kind of pie, putting together a gift basket full of some of his favorite things, or making dinner for him. Just because you don’t spend money on a gift doesn’t mean it’s not as meaningful. These kinds of gifts are priceless. Surprise your guy with something straight from your heart this Valentine’s Day—you can’t go wrong with that!

Consider baking these delicious cookies:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies with Heart Shaped Chocolates

Ingredients

½ cup butter, softened

⅓ cup smooth peanut butter

¾ cup brown sugar

¼ cup sugar

1 egg

2 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp baking soda

2 tsp cornstarch

½ tsp salt

⅓ cup peanut butter chips

⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heart Shaped Chocolate

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, peanut butter and sugars until creamy. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat to combine. Pour in the flour, soda, cornstarch and salt and gently beat until a soft dough comes together. Stir in the peanut butter and chocolate chips evenly. Chill the dough approximately 30 minutes to one hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with silicone liners or mist lightly with cooking spray. Bake cookies for about 8-10 minutes.

After removing the cookies from the oven, gently press an unwrapped chocolate heart in the center of the cookie. Allow the cookies to set on the cookie sheets about 10 minutes before transferring carefully to a wire rack to cool completely.

Collegian Entertainment Writer Rae Ehly can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.