12 Ways You Know You Live in Fort Collins

Sunrise from Horsetooth Mountain Park, Fort Co...
Sunrise from Horsetooth Mountain Park, Fort Collins, Colorado (Photo credit: Yann Ropars)

You may not be from Fort Collins originally, but it is hard to resist conforming to this city, even if it is in small ways. Fort Collins has some unique characteristics that, although sometimes annoying, are also what make it the lively city it is today. You know you live in Fort Collins when:

12. You don’t even hear the train anymore.

The only way you know the train tracks are still working is when you get stuck at them while you’re running late. Who even knows how often the train comes these days, all you know is that you hardly even acknowledge it.

11. There is no parking within a 2-mile radius of the Colorado State University campus.

Okay, so that might be an exaggeration, but really, where do all these cars belong, because you know the nine cars parked in the street in front of your house don’t belong to you or any of your roommates.

10. It is perfectly acceptable to go hiking in January.

Now later months (like February or April) might not be so warm and dry, but a warm January day is a great way to enjoy the wonderful outdoors of Fort Collins.

9. Snow days are for kids.

Really. The elementary, middle and even the high schools might get a snow day the night before but not Colorado State University. Those college students have to get their money’s worth of education. Unless a tree branch falls because it is so heavy-laden with snow.

8. There are more restaurants to choose from than there are days in a year.

Especially pizza. There is so much food to eat and so little time. Fort Collins has one of the highest restaurants per capita in the nation. Enjoy!

7. Beer is a way of life.

You can buy it anywhere, from the sit-down restaurant to the almost-fast-food chain restaurants near campus. In Fort Collins, beer is more than a beverage, it’s a culture.

6. Biking is the preferred mode of transportation.

It is often faster to ride your bike to work or dinner than it is to drive. Plus, who wants to move their car and risk losing that awesome parking spot?

5. There is nothing wrong with riding your bike when there is snow on the ground.

In fact, some professors even praise it. Who cares about slipping on ice when everyone rides a mountain bike anyway?

4. You go to more Indie concerts in a night than some people go to in a year.

The music scene in Fort Collins music scene is full of talent with lots of venues providing a variety of options on any given night.

3. You join a bike race as an excuse to drink beer all day starting at 9 a.m.

The annual Tour de Fat is one of the most popular rides in Fort Collins. Get dressed up in a costume and ride around town sampling beer and having a ball is every college kid’s dream.

2. You can’t find a trash can because all the recycling bins are in the way.

We like to recycle here. We’re trying to save the environment and everyone needs to do their part in that. It’s a Fort Collins thing.

1. You know Boulder is a beautiful place for a day trip, but a horrible place to go to school.

Ram pride drives the city, whether you are a student or not. Everyone supports the University. After all, many people stick around Fort Collins after graduating. After living here it’s hard to even think about living somewhere else.

Collegian Entertainment Assistant Editor Amber Johnson can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.