A Month of Horror at the Lyric Cinema Cafe

Jack Nicholson in the famous “Here’s Johnny” scene
Jack Nicholson in the famous “Here’s Johnny” scene (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

For movie fanatics, the Lyric Cinema Cafe is offering the chance to see the best horror movies back on the big screen.

This October the Lyric is screening movies like “The Ring,” “The Exorcist” and “The Shining,” as well as the Halloween edition of their own “Bad Movie Nite.”

The Lyric will be hosting a “Bad Movie Nite” at 11 p.m. on Oct. 4. This event is held on the first Saturday of every month at the theater.

“I compare it to Mystery Science Theater 3000, except it’s meant to be viewed in a theatre full of people instead of alone in your parents basement,” Michael Putlack, manager of the Lyric, said in an email to the Collegian.

The theater plays 80s and 90s sci-fi/horror b-films with text commentary.

“We keep the film as a secret until we start playing it, so you never know what you’re going to get,” Putlack said. “The show is pretty hysterical.”

The Lyric is also playing the films “Let the Right One In,” “Pan’s Labyrinth,”  “Paranormal Activity,” “Night of the Living Dead” and “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

The theater wanted to hold true to their independent roots with the selections, “Let the Right One In” and “Pan’s Labyrinth.” They also decided to throw in some of the greatest classics like Stanley Kubrick‘s “The Shining” and William Friedkins “The Exorcist,” the latter being chosen by their fan base in a Facebook poll. They are also showing modern films like “The Ring” and the original “Paranormal Activity.”

The Lyric is also excited to be hosting one of the strangest films you will ever see in your life, “Rocky Horror,” for the first time in digital projection. The Lyric upgraded to DLP projection a year ago, which allows them to play the film on the big screen.

The first film to be played for the month of horror will be “Let the Right One In,” a Swedish film about a bullied boy who befriends a modern-day vampire girl. It will be showing Oct. 3-9. The scheduling for the other films is available on the Lyric’s website, lyriccinemacafe.com.

The Odell Brewing Company will also be sponsoring the event and providing special, limited edition brews every Wednesday as well as the days of the special horror movie screenings.

Tickets for the Bad Movie Nite are $6 and tickets for the general horror films are $7 for students.”Night of the Living Dead” is free if you buy a ticket to the Old Town Zombie Crawl.

Collegian A&E Film Beat Reporter Morgan Smith can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @MDSFilms.