Girl Scout cookies: from best to worst

Two cookies stacked on top of one another, the bottom missing a bite-sized piece.
    Thin Mints, one of the best-selling Girl Scout cookies. Image courtesy of Amy Elise via Flickr

‘Tis the season once again: the season for Girl Scout Cookies.

Each year around this time, the Girl Scouts of America launch into their famous fundraiser of selling cookies, and as if that weren’t enough, some 10-year-old genius had the brilliant idea of selling cookies on campus.

There are lots of choices to choose from, so whether you’ve got the munchies or just a serious sweet tooth, here is your guide for what cookies you should throw all of your money away on:

11) Savannah Smiles

I’m not a huge fan of lemon or Southern charm, so I’m not so partial to this one. Not to mention, the powdered sugar always makes a mess. If you’re a 90-year-old that enjoys eating lemon and making a mess, these are for you–otherwise, steer clear.

10) Lemonades

Yet another lemon flavored cookie, but at least this one is less of a mess. They really should have consulted Beyonce on the whole “turning-lemons-to-lemonade” thing.

9) Trios

They’re gluten-free.

8) Do-Si-Do

As a peanut butter fanatic, it makes me sad to see this one so low on the list, but when the competition is this stiff, I have no choice. However, the oatmeal cookies are a little too much when combined with the fake, sugary peanut butter slapped between them.

7) Tagalongs

Once again, we hit the peanut butter problem–it’s just not that good. And have you ever tried eating one of these puppies while they’re melting? Spoiler alert: it’s a disaster.

6) Girl Scout S’mores

Now, this cookie just makes sense. Chocolate and marshmallow sandwiched between graham crackers make for quite the treat–if you’re really looking for something sweet. They can be a bit much at times, but I wouldn’t turn one down if it was offered to me.

5) Trefoils

Okay, I made a joke about how old you have to be to enjoy the lemon wedges, so I wouldn’t blame someone for not taking this choice seriously, but these are some good cookies. Not too sweet, not a mess, and not made with cheap-o peanut butter. I think that’s what you call a win-win-win.

4) Thanks-A-Lot

How do you make a shortbread cookie better? Dip it in chocolate.

Top 3= Toffee-Tastic, Samoas, Thin Mints

3) Toffee-Tastic

Now we’re getting down to the nitty gritty! These bad boys are just too buttery to resist. Flavored with toffee–yet another snack for an old soul–these might just be taking cookies to the next level.

2) Samoas

You’re not going to like these if you don’t like coconut, but I’m pretty sure that makes you inhuman. Not only are they visually appealing and delicious, but they’re really the only cookie that incorporates another culture into their recipe. That’s a real win-win-win.

1) Thin Mints

You had to see this one coming. I can’t think of anything better than opening up my freezer and biting into their crispy, chocolatey goodness. And I once watch Aaron Carter fall off the stage at a concert, so that’s saying something.

I know, I know, some of the choices above might have been a bit less conventional than expected. If you truly feel passionate, feel free to at me, my Twitter handle is below.

Hopefully, you find this list helpful, as will your taste buds. A list of cookies and their official descriptions can be found at www.girlscouts.org. Happy hunting, my hungry, hungry hippos.

Collegian Reporter Nate Day can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @NateMDay