The life of a mile high sports fan

It’s an emotional rollercoaster and full-time job being a mile high sports fan.

We’ve been through it all. When it’s good, its legendary. When it’s bad, it couldn’t be worse.

If we take a moment to reflect on the Centennial state’s track record over the past couple months; we are reminded that the Rockies finished with their worst season in franchise history, both CU’s and CSU’s football teams get embarrassed on a weekly basis and the Broncos are not running the show like we had hoped.

It takes a special type of person to commit to this lifestyle — there is no doubt that we are our own breed. I’ve reached the conclusion that we are also some of the most passionate people you will ever encounter in your entire life.

The image of Coors Field in October 2007 will forever be my evidence of this. Every seat was filled by someone waving a rally towel for nine straight innings.

Colorado teams aren’t perfect, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. If we didn’t experience all the heartbreak, it wouldn’t be so rewarding when we actually attain our time in the limelight.

The New York Yankees have been crowned the champions of Major League Baseball 27 times; I find it hard to believe that it’s still exciting for them anymore. Their inability to sell all of the tickets to their American League Championship Series opener suggests their fans might feel the same way.

It would seem more of an expectation at that point, and I suppose there is no reason not to when you have a limitless amount of money to throw around. Personally, I take pride in earning my accomplishments rather than just buying them.

I know for a fact the day the Rockies get their first title not only will I cry, I might also get too caught up in the moment and help flip a car over while rioting in downtown Denver.

Granted, that day could be well after our lifetime (as Cubs fans can attest), but the true Colorado fanatics will always stayed tuned as long as there is a breath in their bodies.

None of our recent struggles have stopped me from wearing some form of Rockies apparel every single day, yelling the CSU Ram chant at every game or turning my television channel every week to find Peyton Manning.

Undoubtedly, it has been quite some time since we have had a valid reason to celebrate but that won’t stop us from livin’ on a prayer and believing in the fairy tale they call “Mile High Magic.”

If you’re not a believer already, you should consider that now might be one of the better times to hop on board — and we’re always accepting new members.

The Denver Broncos have a championship window open for the first time since the John Elway era, big offseason moves have the Nuggets season looking optimistic and if the NHL ever decides to unlock its doors the Colorado Avalanche stand a decent chance at being contenders as well.

As for CSU athletics… I’m ready to start taking advice from fortune cookies and looking in cracker jack boxes for answers to that mystery.

Everybody knows the 90s song by Chumbawamba that taught us to get back up again every time we get knocked down, but we can only stay down for so long.

I’m convinced that we will get our moment here, a mile above sea level, once again — and we won’t be humble about it when it comes.

Quentin Sickafoose is a junior journalism & technical communications major. His column appears Mondays in the sports section of the Collegian. He can be reached at sports@collegian.com.