Meet the CSU Ice Hockey Teams

SPONSORED CONTENT

The following information has been provided by the CSU Campus Recreation Website:

hockey players raise their sticks in the air
The Rams wave their sticks at the fans after winning the game against Arizona State on Friday Oct. 20. The Rams won 3-2 after a very physical game. (Ashley Potts | Collegian)

Men’s:

The Rams consistently rank in the top 20 teams in the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA).  The team is a founding member of the toughest league in ACHA, the Western Collegiate Hockey League (WCHL). Members of the league include Arizona State, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado State, Colorado, Missouri State, Oklahoma, and Central Oklahoma. The national champion has come from the WCHL three of the past four years.

In addition to the league schedule, the team also competes against other colleges and universities across the country to complete a schedule of between 35-40 games each season.  This schedule includes between four to six road trips.  If the team qualifies, as they did for the 2016-17 season, they travel to and competes in the ACHA National Championship Tournament. A preseason camp and open tryouts occur during the first two weeks of school.  The team typically practices three times per week in the evenings, to avoid any class conflicts.

Beyond hockey, the program provides students with an excellent opportunity for leadership, responsibility, and quality athletics that will benefit them long after they graduate. The program is student-led, and the student athletes, with the support of the CSU Campus Recreation Office, dedicate coaches, managers, trainers, and interns to manage season travel, media and advertising, finances, marketing, and more. The team also works closely with the University, groups in the community, and youth hockey organizations to facilitate team events, volunteer opportunities, and fundraisers, rounding out the college hockey experience.

D1 Upcoming Games:

February 15th- @ Jamestown, ND

February 16th- @ Jamestown, ND

February 17th- @ Minot State, ND

Players celebrate after teammate makes goal
Group of CSU Women’s hockey players celebrating after making a goal. (Jordan Reyes | Collegian)

Women’s:

The CSU Rams Women’s Ice hockey team competes at a highly competitive, national level in the American Collegiate Hockey Association’s Women’s Division 1. The ACHA is affiliated with USA Hockey. We are in the Western Women’s Collegiate Hockey League (WWCHL) along with the University of Denver and rivals University of Colorado – as well as Arizona State, Grand Canyon, Midland, Lindenwood – Belleview, University of Wisconsin, and University of Minnesota.

Our season begins with tryouts in early September and runs through the National Championships in early March. We honor school holidays and have a mid season holiday break from mid-November through early-January. In total, we play 25-30 games per season. Of which 14-16 are league games against our division and 12-14 are against teams in the east such as UMASS, URI, Miami – Ohio, Liberty, and Penn State.

As student-athletes we do have university excused absences roughly eight school days per season due to the four travel-weekends we take every year. The Women’s Hockey Team practices on-ice three times per week and holds off-ice drylands twice a week. These take place in the mornings or evenings in order to not conflict with class schedules.

We function as a student-run organization, thus our program depends on the five-member student board with the support of the CSU Campus Recreation Office, our faculty advisor, Peter Jacobs, and head coach, Loch Miller. The student officers manage finances, travel, media, and scheduling. In addition to our regular season, we volunteer within the Fort Collins and greater community two-three times per season, and partake in regular fundraising events throughout the year.

In all, the team is the tightest knit group of women out there. The program provides so much more beyond hockey. Being a student-athlete offers not only community and companionship, but also teaches responsibility, time management, communication skills, and above all leadership. The women’s hockey team provides these life-long attributes all while fostering a competitive and high quality collegiate athletic opportunity.

D1 Upcoming Games:

February 16th- @ University of Denver, CO

February 17th- @ Fort Collins, CO vs. University of Denver, CO

February 23rd- League Tournament

March 14th- Nationals  

Want to get your club’s news, events or games published on RamPage? Contact RamPage editor Michael Berg at mike.bergfoco@gmail.com

Your advertising and sponsorship support is appreciated. Contact Doug Hay at dhay@collegian.com to learn how you can advertise or sponsor RamPage.