NCAA attempts to change athlete drug testing regulations

National Collegiate Athletic Association (Phil...
National Collegiate Athletic Association (Philippines) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Since 1986, the NCAA has been testing its players for THC use. According to the Orlando Sentinel, push to change this is underway. The organization is now reconsidering the impact of marijuana on college athletes.

Associate Director of the NCAA’s Sports Science Institute, Mary Wilfert, said the committee began discussing whether or not to drug test players several years ago.

“In December of 2014, the committee determined that a best-practice approach would be for the NCAA to no longer test for marijuana in its championships-testing program — which is when we do test as far as the NCAA testing goes — and that it would make more sense for institutions to focus in on the deterrents and intervention at the local level,” Wilfert said.

This recommendation was initiated by NCAA’s Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports. However, it was not favored by majority of the NCAA governing members, so it was not passed. They are making changes to this proposal in hopes that it will eventually be implemented.

To read more about the drug testing college players are subject to, check out the full article.