Fort Collins Focus: December 2019

Anna von

The Fort Collins Focus is a half-page image printed in every copy of The Rocky Mountain Collegian and published online during normal the publication schedule. The focus section was established as a place for Collegian photographers to report on the community and its members in a photojournalistic format.

man makes pasta
Nate Hines, co-owner and chef at The Welsh Rabbit Cheese Bistro in downtown Fort Collins, rolls out dough to make pasta for the restaurant. “When I was a kid, I wanted to be three things,” Hines said. “I wanted to be a cowboy, I wanted to be Luke Skywalker and I wanted to be a chef.” (Brooke Buchan | The Collegian)
man's reflection in glass
Erik Carlson installs an art piece by the anatomy and zoology building Dec. 11, 2019. Carlson and his wife, Erica Carpenter, have a portfolio called AREA C Projects, which includes this piece that was commissioned by the University and Colorado Creative Industries. Nick Hollibaugh fabricated the piece and installed it with Carlson. The piece, called Veil, was inspired by a “cell shape that was discovered recently, called the scutoid,” Carlson said. “It’s about looking into the building blocks of life.” (Ryan Schmidt | The Collegian)
Man takes picture of woman in front of mountain
Colorado State University Photography Club member Max Tucker takes a portrait of member Lauren Lopes at the club’s sunrise outing to Rocky Mountain National Park Dec. 7, 2019. The club traveled to Dream Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park, leaving CSU at 4:30 in the morning, to catch the sunrise over the frozen lake. The roughly 2-mile round trip is a popular tourist destination but has low traffic in the early morning hours. (Gregory James | The Collegian)
2019 Student Art Exhibition Juror Yang Wang congratulates Colorado State University fourth-year Rand Kalaaji on winning the Jurors’ Award for Excellence for the ceramic artwork “Ma’amoul (Date Cookie)” in the Lory Student Center Dec. 4, 2019. Kalaaji comes from a Muslim Syrian American background and strives to create art that “challenges the harmful stereotypes” and highlights the “beauty, history and generosity” of her culture. “My family on holidays, we make these cookies called Ma’amoul, and they’re filled with dates,” Kalaaji said. “It’s something that’s very special to me and has always connected me to my religion and my culture. I make it with my mom and my grandma and my sisters and my whole family. So, I have a lot of really nice memories surrounding them.” (Anna von Pechmann | The Collegian)

The photographers can be reached at photo@collegian.com or on Twitter @CSUCollegian.