Colorado’s silly laws

English: A pair of black handcuffs. Shown with...
    A pair of black handcuffs. Shown with the key. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

With our state nearing its 140th birthday there are some pretty silly laws still on the books. They may have made a lot of sense when they were written and passed, but no longer hold much sway or are just plain silly. Here is a list of the best of them:

• It is illegal to mutilate any rock in a state park

25-13-105 – Unlawful acts.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this article, it is
    unlawful for any person:

(d) To willfully mar, mutilate, deface, disfigure, or
    injure beyond normal use any rocks, trees, shrubbery, wild
    flowers, or other features of the natural environment in
    recreation areas of the state;

• In Aspen it is illegal to fire a catapult at a building

Section 15.04.210 Unlawful to throw stones, snowballs or discharge guns and other missiles.

It shall be unlawful for any person to throw any stone, snowball or other missile, or discharge any bow, blowgun, slingshot, gun, catapult, or other device, upon or at any vehicle, building, or other public or private property, or upon or at any person, or in any public way or place which is public in nature.

(Ord. No. 46-1974, § 1; Ord. No. 5-1975, § 1: Code 1971, § 13-35)

•  It is legal to insult a police officer, but only until they ask you to stop

5-3-6 Use of Fighting Words.

No person shall insult, taunt, or challenge another in a manner likely to provoke a disorderly response. If the person to whom such insult, taunt, or challenge is directed is apolice officer, there is no violation of this section until the police officer requests the person to cease and discontinue the conduct, but the person repeats or continues the conduct.

• In Boulder it is illegal to allow ones llama to graze on public property.

5-4-7 Grazing on Public Property.

No person shall knowingly cause or permit any domesticated animal that such person owns, possesses, or controls, including, without limitation, cows, goats, llamas, burros, mules, horses, pigs, or sheep, to graze, pasture, or run at large or to be driven or herded within any property belonging to the city or under the possession and control of the city, except pursuant to a written permit from the city manager.

• In Denver it is illegal to lend your vacuum cleaner to your neighbor, and illegal to ask to borrow theirs.