Nightlife: Netflix binge over break

Finals are over, and break seems relaxing and eternal – until we all have to go back to campus next month. Even if we plan to get organized and put together over break, we inevitably only hang out with friends, go out and do fun things, like Christmas shopping or enjoying the pleasure of doing nothing with a side of Netflix binge.

With Netflix, it is possible to watch an entire TV series in one sitting — I wouldn’t recommend it, but you can. Being able to watch multiple episodes in one go does make it easier to catch up or follow a TV series, especially because you are able to watch episodes when you have larger chunks of time on a flexible schedule. Well, now that break is here and we have larger chunks of time where we can lay in bed and stay in our PJ’s all day, Netflix can fill in the time with some great TV shows. Here are just 5 TV shows on Netflix that you should binge.

Gilmore Girls

gilmore.jpg
Watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix on the couch or plug it into the TV | Anna Hoover | Collegian

This is a great show for a girls’ night, packed with references to a wide variety of pop culture and full of humor, drama and love. The show follows a mother and daughter as they transition from high school to college, dealing with all the typical (and atypical) roadblocks along the way. However, the best reason to binge this over break is that there are 4 new episodes in a miniseries that were just released in November, following a 9-year break from the series “finale” back in 2007. The whole cast has gotten back together in Stars Hallow for more quick-wit humor just in time for our delight as break begins.

Total Binge Time: 6 days, 9 hours
Total Run: 7 Seasons, 153 episodes
Still Airing: Sort of (new mini-series)

Stranger Things

mickey-feet.jpg
Watch Stranger Things on Netflix in bed with slippers and pj’s on | Anna Hoover | Collegian

I have heard from so many people around campus that this new series is a must watch! Following the supernatural and secrets in a small town, this show has a strong cast. It is kind of spooky, but worth it if you binge it, or so I’ve been told, I’m only on episode 2. As a Netflix original, the series only has one season up with only 8 episodes available, which is a doable binge for a single day if you want to try it and have nothing else going on.

Total Binge Time: 6 hours, 40 minutes
Total Run: 1 Season, 8 episodes (on hiatus until Season 2)

The Crown

If you’re a history buff, or just like historical fiction, this is an excellent show to watch. Also a Netflix original series, this show follows Princess Elizabeth and Prince Phillip as they transition to the head of the monarchy in the first 10 episodes available. Struggles with power, family and duties make this show a dramatic re-telling of history from a perspective few take. Even if you’re not into history, or even know enough to look for historical inaccuracies, you’ll find this show intriguing and suspenseful.

Total Binge Time: 10 hours
Total Run: 1 Season, 10 episodes
Still Airing: Yes (on hiatus until Season 2)

Supernatural

supernatural.jpg
Supernatural DVDs might have bonus features, but you don’t need them to watch the series on Netflix | Anna Hoover | Collegian

How can I not suggest Supernatural? Yes, I know I might be a bit biased, but seriously, this show is amazing. Following two brothers as they struggle to keep the world from ending, again and again, this series has so many emotions and connections to real life that it is hard not to become attached to the lovable characters and engaged with the story. With season 11 on Netflix, you’ll still be behind season 12, which has been airing on cable for the past month or so. This show keeps it interesting with different plot lines, characters, and story elements as well as filming techniques and angles that make this series visually intriguing.

Total Binge Time: 10 days, 10 hours
Total Run: 12 Seasons, 249 episodes
Still Airing: Yes (currently)

Sherlock

For those that don’t want to let their brains relax, try watching Sherlock, the British TV show starring Benedict Cumberbatch. This show has so many cliff hangers and conundrums that make the viewers question and think about every case and scenario Sherlock faces. Add the intellectual to the new interpretation of Sherlock Holmes, complete with blogging and tech-savvy villains, and this series is an up-to-date murder mystery. There are so many easter eggs to look for, and good luck with trying to solve the season finales’ cliffhangers, as the entire fandom couldn’t figure those out, even when they had 2 years between seasons. You’ll just have to watch in awe as Sherlock explains his methods of madness.

Total Binge Time: 19 hours, 30 minutes
Total Run: 3 Seasons, 10 episodes (including the special)
Still Airing: Yes (on hiatus until Season 4 in December)

Granted, these are just 5 show out of the hundreds that Netflix offers at the moment, in addition to their numerous movies that can pass the time over break. I suggest bingeing a few of these to de-stress from classes and work if you can’t. Just don’t forget to enjoy time off with family while you’re at it too!

Nightlife Writer Anna Hoover can be reached at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter @Hoovanna17. Read more of her content on https://collegian.com/category/blogs/night/ Leave a comment!!