Living the Alternative: seven weird things to clean this spring

Spring (via pexels)

It’s that time of year again. Break out your shorts and sundresses, ladies and gents, because it finally appears that the warm weather wishes to hang around for a while.

As we near the semester end and feel like the winter fatigue is beginning to shed, many of us look to clean up our closets, bedrooms and personal spaces, hoping to feel as new in their spaces as the season makes you feel. But what about the non-physical things of your life? Don’t they deserve some sprucing up too? Here’s a few things that you may want to polish up this spring that you may not have thought about. 

1. Clean your social media profile 

Remember all those passive aggressive posts to your mother you made in the 8th grade on Facebook? Or the borderline emo-rants from freshman and sophomore year? Maybe it’s time to cut them loose, they aren’t memories you need anyway. Not to mention, your employers do know how to use Google, and if you want that summer internship, it might be good to delete all of the over-edited photos and over-dramatic posts of the far and maybe not-so-far past. Turn that page permanently.

2. Update your professional materials

When was the last time you dusted off that resume and updated it? Even six months is a long time in the professional world. And, what about your LinkedIn, or your portfolios? Giving these a look through, updating your information and pictures on online accounts, adding to your portfolio and resume are always good things to do, and this way you can go into the summer with your head high knowing your professional portfolio is on top of it’s game. Don’t have one? Hit up the Career Center. They can help. 

Business Cards (via Pixabay)
  3. Organize your connections

Everyone in college knows, or will know, that in the end, your connections absolutely matter. So, this is the time to start getting on top of that connections game. First step, get some business cards. I’m not talking about 500 business cards, but maybe having 100 saying your name, professional e-mail, phone number and your current course of study isn’t a bad idea. Maybe even list your job, if it’s long-term like some of mine. Second, take the business cards of others and start organizing them. They sell lots of cool business card organizers on Amazon, and it’s a good investment for the future. Organize them by category or alphabetically, or category and then alphabetically, or vice versa. Finally, reach out to these people. Maybe ask if they have any opportunities or side-work you could do, or just check in, maintain a friendly professional relationship by asking how things are. It never hurts to just remind them you exist. 

Working (via Pexels)
  4. Empty your inbox 

We all know that when things get busy, but when your e-mail inbox piles up, you’re probably missing cool or important things. Try reading and sorting or deleting 20 emails at every meal. Hopefully you’ll be through them all in no time. If you have more than, say, a few hundred, maybe set down an afternoon. The Gmail Email Game is a fun way to pass the time and encourage you to be fast about it, if you get bored. I wouldn’t recommend it if most of your emails are important or require responses. 

5. Dust off your social life 

When was the last time you called your best friend? How about your non-best friends? You need to maintain your life as well, so clean off the dust and go out for an evening. You deserve it. Go you.

Car clutter (via Flickr)
  6. Purge your electronics and other collection-style drawers

You’ve not had that phone in six years, get rid of the charger. Did you ever use that electric toothbrush from your mother from last Christmas? If it’s still in the box, return it, if not, donate it. So, often we purge our closets without purging the more undefined spaces. Clean out that junk drawer, or the glove box of your cars, the underneath-your-bed bin, your desk tray, anywhere you shove things and forget about them. If you forgot they were there, probably good to throw it away. 

7. Make a scrapbook 

Boys, before you click away, this is for you too. It doesn’t have to be a scrapbook. I personally get photo-albums from the store and fill them with all the concert tickets, movie stubs, and memorabilia that I’ve collected from all of my adventures. This way you don’t throw them away, but they stop floating around your various junk drawers and bins. If scrapbooking is your thing, go for it. This is also a good time to clean out your phone of photos. Not only does it clear up space, but you can get rid of all the powerpoint slide pictures, purse/butt pocket photos, and any other clutter in there. It also gives you time to look through and print your favorites, or the ones you want to keep but don’t want others perusing your phone to see. Print them out and pop them in that scrapbook/photo album. Several birds, one stone. 

What do you like to clean in the spring? Did we miss anything that you think others miss? Let us know in the comments!!

Collegian Blogger Sarah Ross can be reached online at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter at @HowSarahTweets. Read more of her content on AltLife or at collegian.com under Music. Leave a comment!