Why everyone needs to try intramural sports

I get it, not everyone is an athlete.

Not everyone even likes sports.

Some people think of sports and kind of cringe on the inside.

It just isn’t the funnest thing to some people. However, I am here to tell you that intramural sports are probably one of the best things to get involved with in college. IM sports are sports that are so laid-back that they are several notches below any of the collegiate sports people see on campus. “IM sports” is basically a fancy way of saying “just hanging out with friends, playing a sport you may or may not actually know how to play.”

Junior Donny Maclachlan natural resource & tourism major looks for an open reciever Tuesday night during co-ed intramural football.
Donny Maclachlan, a natural resource & tourism major looks for an open reciever  during co-ed intramural football.

I was a runner in highschool, that was my thing. Where everyone else was doing volleyball or softball, I was running miles around a dirt track. It was a sport that required zero coordination. I didn’t have to spike a ball, I didn’t have to know how to throw a ball, I just had to know how to put one leg in front of the other quickly and without tripping myself. So, when freshman year of college came around and my friend asked me to play on his IM volleyball team, my first reaction was an absolute no way.  

Magno Perez, a freshman construction management major, winds up to strike  the soccer ball during a friendly game at the Intramural fields on Sunday afternoon.
Magno Perez, a freshman construction management major, winds up to strike the soccer ball during a friendly game at the Intramural fields on Sunday afternoon. (Collegian File Photo.)

But, as I am sure you can guess, I eventually gave in and joined his team. And, it was one of my favorite things I have ever done in college. Ever. I was so bad at it, too. I had never played before, didn’t even really know the rules, and the worst part was that because I am kind of a tall girl, everyone had the assumption that I would be good at the sport. But, boy were they wrong.

I could barely get the ball over the net and I made a fool of myself every game. But, it was so great. I had a blast just laughing it off and learning how to play with my friends. It was an amazing way to get closer to the people I was on the team with and it was kind of cool to actually learn a bit more about the sport. A major plus, too, was that I got exercise without even thinking about it, which in my opinion is the best kind of exercise.

I am here to tell you: just join an IM team this spring semester.

It doesn’t matter if you have ever played soccer or ultimate Frisbee or flag football. Just do it. You will have a blast, get healthy and make more connections at the university you are a part of. 

Collegian Active Lifestyles Blogger Katy Mueller can be reached online at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter at @katymueller13.