Alternative Ways to Sweat Those Pounds

Yoga Class at a Gym Category:Gyms_and_Health_Clubs
Yoga Class at a Gym (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Today marks the beginning of Body Acceptance Week.

It’s a week full of days where you talk about what you love, and to stop looking at all of the problems and to look at the things you cherish. However, there are some that cannot look past that what they do not like. Try and try as they might, they cannot change the way they see themselves in a mirror, and if the mirror is removed they still see their faults in their minds eye. If this is you, it’s okay. Sometimes it’s harder to overcome your mental image than it is to change it. So, if you can’t stop seeing the you that you don’t like, here is hoping we can help you become who you want to be and to help you realize your goals.

As I said in a previous post, there are many people who wish as a New Years Resolution to become more fit. I also mentioned that it is one of the most dropped goals out there. One of the reasons this goal is dropped so often is because no one likes to start at a gym. It’s intimidating, the learning curve is high, and there are always those really fit people in teeny, tiny, expensive workout shirts that look at you with a small amount of pity and disdain. It makes a stressful environment more stressful, if at all possible. So what do you do instead?

English: Pilates at a gym
Pilates at a gym (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Well, there are always alternatives. There have been lots of alternative workout plans out lately, especially those focused around yoga, pilates, and kickboxing. But there are even more out there than you think. To jog your brain and help you generate your own ideas, I’ve made a little list for you.

1. Swimming – For those looking for a way to work out in that cute bathing suit
  2. Gardening – It’ll break a sweat, trust me
  3. Hula Hooping – It’s all the rage
  4. Interval Training – More of the fat burn with less of the cardio
  5. Commercial Workouts – Who likes commercials anyways?
  6. Dance – Shake that thing, girl!
  7. Cleaning – Good for your body and your level of stress!
  8. Stairs – We’ve all seen those commercials with sweaty athletes in track stadiums, but try it!
  9. Biking as transport – Eco-friendly and butt friendly!
  10. Have sex – safely and when you are ready, of course

Sexy time burns calories (via Pexels)
  11. Jumping Jacks – let that kindergarten flag fly
  12. High Knees – I’m having soccer flash backs
  13. Burpees – may God have mercy on your soul
  14. Squat Jumps – Just think: poop, fly away, poop, fly away. Works every time
  15. PowerYoga – it’s the ab class and the yoga class all in one
  16. Trapeze – channel your inner circus freak
  17. Pole Dancing – surprise your SO this Sunday with a new practice pole and a couple new moves to impress
  18. Surfboard Exercises – Beyoncé approved
  19. Aerial Yoga – be the goddess you know you are
  20. Kangoo Jump shoes – moon shoes for adults
  21. Baree based workouts – fine your inner ballerina and go buy that tutu
  22. Fencing – On guard!

Fencing (via Wikipedia)
  23. Trampolines – It’s JumpCity but better
  24. Ultimate Frisbee – the fastest way to hate your friends

If none of the sound interesting, just start going with friends. Another group I know of bought FitBit HRs and are challenging each other through their interactive servers, which is fun and doesn’t require a gym at all!! I also have a FitBit, so if you want to challenge me, just tweet me and we can start! For more ideas, look at these three lists that helped inspire the article. Click here, here, or here to find more lists.

What did we miss? What are some ways you want to improve your health and feel better about yourself? Let us know in the comments!!

Collegian Blogger Sarah Ross can be reached online at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter at @HowSarahTweets. Read more of her content on AltLife.collegian.com or at collegian.com under Music. Leave a comment!