CSU men’s golf places third in Oregon Duck Invitational

digital

Collegian | Brian Peña

Damon Cook, Staff Reporter

The University of Oregon men’s golf team hosted the 33rd annual Oregon Duck Invitational at the Eugene Country Club. The two-day event teed off on March 27. Colorado State University men’s golf, which is currently ranked 25th in the country by Golfweek, finished third in the tournament. The team shot an 869, 17 strokes over par throughout their three rounds. 

Of the 14 teams that attended the tournament, the Rams finished behind only the hosting Ducks and the Oregon State University Beavers. Oregon would go on to win the Invitational, being their home advantage. The Ducks shot 850, two strokes under par and the Beavers shot 857, five strokes above par.

Ram Connor Jones, had a successful first day, shooting one under par. Jones was tied for third place in the entire field, behind two golfers who shot two under par. Jones helped lead the Rams to fourth place in the first round.

The Rams would jump from fourth into second place after the second round concluded behind Matthew Wilkinson, who shot even in the second round.  The Rams looked poised to finish second in the tournament, but struggled in the third round. CSU placed fourth in that round, shooting 293. 

The Rams shot the best on par 4’s with an average of 4.18 strokes per hole, the third best of any team. The green and gold have room for improvement when it comes to par 5’s, as the Rams average 4.89 strokes per hole, fifth best in the field. The Rams were also one of only six teams to score an eagle during the Invitational, coming from Wilkinson. 

The Rams’ next tournament will be the Western Intercollegiate tournament, which will take place on April 10-12. CSU will travel to Santa Cruz, California and will be hosted by the San Jose State University Spartans.

Reach Damon Cook at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @dwcook2001.