Colorado State soccer is back for the spring season

The Colorado State University soccer squad is coming off their best season in program history, but they are ready to get back to work.

The spring season is approaching, and the Rams are ready to ride again after a 12-5-3 season that saw them go to the Mountain West Championship tournament.

The spring schedule will see the Rams play twice in Canvas Stadium, an arena usually reserved for football play.

“Spring always brings a different challenge to our players,” head coach Bill Hempen said. “We see different teams and styles than what we see in the fall. The eight (vs.) eight event is always fun and fast in addition to the traditional 11 (vs.) 11 games against many in-state programs we rarely see. Two of our games are in Canvas Stadium, which is fun for both us and our opponents.”

Each event is open to the public. The first event is March 1, when the Rams host the University of Denver, the Air Force Academy and the University of Northern Colorado in the eight vs. eight indoor tournament. This event is in the indoor practice facility, located next to the campus recreation center.

March 11 at 7 p.m. the Rams will face the School of Mines in 11 vs. 11 outdoor play. This event will be at Canvas Stadium. The final Canvas Stadium game will be a rematch against UNC at 6 p.m. on March 27.

The Rams finish spring play with a series of April games. On April 4 at 11 a.m., the Rams take on Metro State. On the 18th, they will face off against the FC Boulder women’s team. The season finale will be against alumni in the second annual Alumni Game.

CSU will return a lot of players, and they are looking to improve on last season’s already very successful year. Star keeper Gabi McDonald will return for her junior year and will be mentored by the team’s new acquisition to the coaching staff, Joe Scachetti.

The Rams will look to build chemistry for next year during the spring season. Caeley Lordemann is arguably the best player in program history and is the all-time leader in goals scored. Replacing her and figuring out how to operate without her presence will be key to this season.

“Our spring training began when school started, and the spirit we had in the fall has carried over to this group, which is very exciting for our future,” Hempen said.

Bailey Bassett can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @baileybassett_.