Mike Bobo no longer CSU football’s head coach after 5 seasons

You can’t win them all, but you certainly can’t lose them all either. Colorado State athletics announced Wednesday that the University would be mutually parting ways with head football coach Mike Bobo after five seasons at the helm.

“I would like to thank Mike Bobo for his professionalism, commitment and efforts in leading our football program for the past five seasons,” CSU Athletic Director Joe Parker said via a statement from CSU athletics. “He has devoted an innumerable amount of energy to moving Colorado State football forward and fulfilled his promises to developing our student-athletes in every dimension. … We wish Mike (Bobo) well in all his future endeavors. He will always be a stalwart Ram.”

Mike Bobo talks with Colorado State University running back Marvin Kinsey Jr. on the sidelines at the Rocky Mountain Showdown on Aug. 31. (Anna von Pechmann | Collegian)

Bobo still had three years remaining on his contract extension that went into effect in January of 2018. The deal set Bobo’s buyout to $5.5 million during the 2019 season, but the hefty amount was set to drop to $3 million in 2020. The buyout agreement the two parties agreed on compensates Bobo $1.825 million over the next three years. The former Ram play-caller will cash in $608,334 in 2020, $608,333 in 2021 and $608,333 in 2022. 

“Unfortunately, the results the last couple of seasons have not been what we wanted,” Bobo said. “I can assure you this was not a reflection of the commitment and hard work that we all put into the program the last five years. Our players and coaches never quit and fought through the final whistle against Boise State. I am so proud of this entire team and staff for their incredible resolve.”

With the sting of two losing seasons in his last two years, this firing seemed inevitable. It followed four straight losses to both Wyoming and Air Force and a 0-5 record against the University of Colorado and Boise State. Bobo compiled an overall record of 28-35 in his tenure as the Rams’ head coach.

Parker will hold a press conference in Canvas Stadium at 5:30 p.m. MT tonight.

Ryan Loberger can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @Lobergerryan