Colorado State track team opens season with 3 meets

Colorado State University track and field opened their 2019-20 indoor season this week with three meets at three different universities with three different teams back to back.

The Rams track team started their long week on Thursday at the Colorado School of Mines Alumni Classic. CSU sent a smaller roster of just 18 athletes to Mines; the roster included a mix of long-distance and jumping athletes. The Rams were set to compete in the men and women’s long jump, pole vault, triple jump and high jump, as well as the women’s pentathlon and men’s heptathlon.

The Rams had some key top performers at the Mines Classic:

Freshman Celyn Stermer– Stermer performed a perfect high-jump set, with no errors until the 3.81 meter jump. Stermer finished first in women’s pole vault.

Junior Isa Bynum– Bynum had an amazing meet, finishing first in the men’s long jump with a final leap of 7.35 meters. Bynum was also the best athlete in the men’s triple jump, ending with a 14.8-meter jump.

A majority of CSU’s track and field team headed to Colorado Springs on Friday for the Air Force Holiday Open. The Rams have constantly done well at the Cadet Field House, and that was no different this year.

The green and gold dominated the competition, finishing the meet with the Rams holding the top spot in six events. In the men’s section, the Rams finished first in the 500-meter run, 60-meter hurdles and weight throw. In the women’s section, CSU found themselves at the top of the board in the 300-meter run, shot put and weight throw.

This level of dominance was not expected, as CSU had 10 athletes competing for their first time. Track and field at Colorado State lost a large amount of seniors last year, which usually spells turmoil for any athletic program. But this team is something different — everyone is buzzing about the potential.

The Rams had a few top performers at the Air Force Holiday Open:

Freshman Tom Willems– Willems had his debut performance at Air Force. Nobody expected him to win the men’s 500-meter run with a time of 1:04.36

Senior Maria Muzzio– Muzzio finished her day at the Holiday Open with a first-place finish and new personal record in the women’s shot put. Muzzio was able to secure her win and record with a throw of 15.69 meters.

The final destination for the Rams track and field team was at Boston University for the Boston University Season Opener. Only one athlete made the journey: senior Eric Hamer.

Hamer represented CSU well, finishing first in his section of the men’s 5,000-meter run. Hamer completed the 5,000 meter run in a blazing-fast time of 13:40.11 minutes, taking down the CSU indoor record previously held by Grant Fischer, who ran the event in 13:46.58 minutes.

“Eric (Hamer) put in a Herculean performance tonight setting a school record,” head cross country coach Art Siemers said. “Instead of making excuses because he didn’t get in the fast heat, he put the pedal down and lapped most of the field. That take(s) next-level focus and confidence.”

The CSU track and field team is the reigning champion of the Mountain West. Many fans and players doubted the Rams’ ability to bounce back after losing a majority of their firepower from graduating seniors. But with the first three meets in the books, it seems that CSU track and field is set to be a contender once again.

Jack Taylor can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @j_taylr.