Lordemann powers Rams to weekend split in conference play

Opening conference play this past week, the Colorado State soccer team was out to add to their stellar record. The team walked away with a weekend split, going 1-1 to improve to 6-3-1.

CSU vs. New Mexico

Colorado State opened up conference play against New Mexico on Friday having never beat the Lobos.

Ninety minutes of play was not enough to decide a winner, and after a scoreless regulation, the Rams captured their third overtime victory this season. Caeley Lordemann was once again the hero, scoring in the 95th minute to give the Rams their sixth win of the season, tying the program record. Lordemann has scored the game-winner in all three of the Rams’ overtime wins this season.

“We have each other’s backs, and we have one goal and we are all working to get to it,” forward Kristen Noonan said.

Lordemann’s sixth goal of the season set a new career-high and was also the sixth game-winner in her career. The game-winner came as Lordemann received the ball on a Gracie Armstrong misfire and chipped the ball past the Lobos’ netminder. 

“Thank goodness Caeley (Lordemann) plays for us,” Coach Bill Hempen said. “She has got all three overtime game-winners, so that’s a clutch performer.”

The senior captain is cementing herself into Rams history. She is already the leader in all-time goals and continues to shine when her team desperately needs her. 

Goalkeeper Gabi McDonald also put up another impressive game. McDonald had six saves on 15 New Mexico shot attempts in the shutout win. McDonald shined as a vocal leader. She was constantly communicating with her teammates, which is a good sign from a young sophomore who should be a contributor for a long time. 

CSU vs. San Diego State University

The Rams dropped their second conference game of the season in a 2-0 loss on the road against San Diego State University. The game and statistics were closer than the final score would indicate. CSU controlled the tempo and the ball for a good chunk of the game but was unable to find the back of the net. 

CSU had 10 shots and five corner kicks, each of which were only two less than SDSU.

The Rams passing looked on-point while they threaded the defense early in the match. Noonan was aggressive: the forward had four first-half shot attempts and multiple header attempts that barely missed the mark. 

Even with these efforts, the 2-6-1 Aztecs came away with the upset victory. After the loss, the Rams come back to Colorado but venture to Colorado Springs to face off against Colorado College. 

The Rams will attempt to bounce back into what should be a battle against a quality 6-2 Tigers team this Friday. CSU is 1-0-1 following a loss this season.

Here’s how the Mountain West standings look after week one of conference play

2019 Mountain West Women’s Soccer Standings
SCHOOL CONF CPCT. OVERALL PCT. STREAK
Boise State 2-0 1.000 10-1 0.909 W6
Wyoming 1-0 1.000 4-3-3 0.550 L1
Fresno State 2-1 0.667 6-3-1 0.650 W2
Colorado College 1-1 0.500 6-2 0.750 L1
Air Force 1-1 0.500 6-2-1 0.722 L1
Utah State 1-1 0.500 6-4 0.600 L1
San José State 1-1 0.500 3-5-2 0.400 W1
San Diego State 1-1 0.500 2-6-1 0.278 W1
Nevada 1-1 0.500 2-7 0.222 W1
Colorado State 1-1 0.500 6-3-1 0.591 L1
New Mexico 0-1 0.000 5-4 0.556 W1
UNLV 0-2 0.000 3-7 0.300 L3

Bailey Bassett can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @baileybassett_.