After a 14 year drought, CSU softball clinches Mountain West title

With a lot on the line, the Rams visited Boise to take on the Boise State Broncos in the last series in Mountain West play.

The Rams were chasing a Mountain West title and the best overall record that CSU softball has ever seen. On the other hand, the Broncos were trying to keep their Mountain West title hopes alive and spoil the Rams’ celebration.

The action kicked off on Friday evening as both teams looked to make a statement and take game one. The Rams took the early 1-0 lead after the first inning of play. Both teams managed to keep each other off the scoreboard until the fourth when the Broncos brought in two runs to take a 2-1 lead.

Wasting little time, the Rams took the lead back. They added three runs in the fifth inning and a single run in the sixth. With a 5-2 lead, it looked as if the Rams were about to win the Mountain West title, but the Broncos weren’t going to let up that easy.

Boise added two runs of their own in the sixth and eventually tied the game up with two outs in the seventh inning. In extras, the Broncos walked it off with an RBI single to win the game in the 12th inning. Though they came up short, the Rams were still just one win away from clinching the title.

Junior Ashley Ruiz does her routine before entering the batters box in a different at bat. (Joshua Contreras | Collegian).

The next day the Broncos jumped out to an early 1-0 lead. Both pitchers were throwing absolute gems, keeping the opposing lineups off the scoreboard. Things were looking bleak in the seventh in for the Rams.

Their high-powered offense was being shut out until junior Ashley Ruiz came up with the biggest hit of the season. Ruiz hit a three-run home run in the top of the seventh to give the Rams a 3-1 lead.

After shutting the Broncos out in the bottom of the seventh, the party began. All of the players sprinted to the mound and began to celebrate as a team. The Rams were presented with the Mountain West title and at that moment they knew all their hard work had paid off.

“The whole game, we were on our players to be more selective. Ashley did that. Boise State pitched around her yesterday in game one and (Saturday) they left one in the zone and she crushed it,” Head Coach Jen Fisher said. “Everyone knew it was out right away. I’m so happy for her, she is such a great kid and a great pickup for us as a transfer. She’s been on fire lately, so it is fun to see her get that home run.”

With one milestone reached, the Rams had their sights on the best record in CSU softball history.

Sunday saw senior Amber Nelson get the Rams on the board first with a solo shot. The Broncos immediately responded with a run of their own, tying the game 1-1 after the first inning. In the third inning, the Broncos made the score 3-1 with a two-run home run. After regaining the lead, the Broncos shut out the Rams the rest of the way and took the series.

This is the Rams’ first series loss all year long, which is an incredible feat. But they came away with the Mountain West title and secured their spot in the NCAA tournament. While losing the series is a bummer, the Rams are in a solid spot heading for the post season.

The Rams are one win away from breaking the CSU softball all-time record with only one game remaining in the regular season. Their final game is May 6 at Brigham Young University.

Whenever the Rams were doubted or put in pressure situations this season, they’ve found a way to come out on top and prove the doubters wrong. This final matchup is a chance to add on to their most historic season in years.

Junior Guerrero can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @juniorg45.