Distance crew shines for CSU track & field at Colorado Invite

The Colorado State track & field team continued action at the Colorado Invite hosted by the University of Colorado last weekend. The meet was originally scheduled to take place on Friday and Saturday but Friday events were pushed to Saturday due to inclement weather.

men start a 800m race
Teammates Blake Yount (right) and Cole Rockhold (left) start the 800m race next to each other on Saturday April 7th at the CU Boulder Track Invitational.(Matt Begeman | Collegian)

The distance crew shined for the Rams as they took top spots in multiple events. Senior Jalen Hunter was the top collegian in the men’s 110-meter hurdles and set a personal best with his time of 14.21. Hunter’s time now sits eighth on CSU’s all-time list. In the women’s 100-meter hurdles, Destinee Rocker placed first and dusted the competition, winning by more than half a second with her time of 13.50. The Lithonia, Georgia native and Lorenda Holston are the only other Rams to run a faster time in the event.

“We had seen some good practices out of Jalen and were hoping it would be translated in a meet,” distance coach Karim Abdel Wahab said in a statement. “He made it happen today and hopefully it’ll be the start of many better marks to come. Destinee has been very consistent with minimal wind today, running a 13.50. We’re really hoping that with better competition later in the season that she can run another PR.”

In his 800 meters collegiate debut, Cole Rockhold placed fourth and his time (1:51.15) ranks 17th on CSU’s all-time list. In the 1,500 meters, junior Carson Hume placed seventh with a time of 3:52.53. In the women’s 1,500 meters Dominique Ward placed third with a time of 4:33.35.

Jessica Ozoude won the 400 meters by over a second at 55.99. Lettia Wilson also took first in the women’s 100 meters with a time of 11.97.

The Rams took the men’s and women’s crown in the 4×100-meters relay. The men finished with a time of 42.32 while the women finished with a time of 45.41 to round out the distance crew’s weekend.

CSU took the top three spots in the women’s hammer. Linnea Jonnson won the event with a season-best mark of 61.03 meters. Kelcey Bedard took second with her mark of 60.77 meters. Aimee Larrabee set a personal best to take the third spot with her mark of 58.55 meters.

To go along with her second-place hammer finish, Bedard won the discus with a mark of 50.48 meters. Finishing second in the discus was Maria Muzzio, who threw a personal best 49.10 meters. Muzzio also placed as the top collegian in the women’s shot put, registering a mark of 14.52 meters.

“I would give our team a ‘C ‘ if I was to grade them,” head coach Brian Bedard said. “I think our coaches trained our athletes through this meet a little bit, and we looked like it. In other cases, we may not have been as focused as we needed to be. We did have some personal-best performances, so I don’t want to ignore that. We did have some positive things today. I thought certain event groups looked tired or a little beat up, so we need to take a look at that as a staff. We just need to continue to get better.”

The Rams will continue their outdoor season next with the NOCO Challenge which they will co-host with the University of Northern Colorado on April 14.

Collegian sports reporter Mamadou Balde can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @mamadoubalde62.