Rams soccer can’t overcome slow start, fall 2-0 to Portland State

The Colorado State women’s soccer team’s last weekend of non-conference play didn’t get off to a great start on Friday afternoon, falling 2-0 to Portland State on the road.

Colorado State (2-5-0) was sluggish out of the gate, falling behind early on the shot chart. The Rams were outshot 13-2 in the first half, leading to a 2-0 Portland State (2-5-0) deficit heading into half time.

The Vikings first goal of the game came in the 21st minute when junior Katie Forsee took a pass from freshman Jade Rafallo and chipped Rams’ goalkeeper Natalie Dierickx.

Forsee proved to be a problem early for the Rams. Minutes after her goal that gave the Vikings the lead, Forsee came back with another shot that beat Dierickx but just missed the back post. She was one of four Portland State players to end the game with four shots.

Following the first goal, the Rams were almost able to keep the Vikings at bay for the remainder of the first half, until Portland State sophomore Morgan Matthews stole the ball from a Rams’ defender and buried her third goal of the year with about a minute to play in the half.

After the break, the Rams looked like a much better team. They were able to control the ball a little bit better and managed to put some pressure on Vikings’ goalie Abbie Faingold.

Colorado State’s sophomore forward Hannah Gerdin also woke up in the second half, recording all four of her shots in the second half.

The Rams were more competitive in the second half, but still wound up on the wrong side of the shot count and ultimately the score.

Rams head coach has always commended his team for their effort, and he did so once again following the loss.

“We just were not good enough when we needed to be on both ends of the field. The result is the same – yet the effort is undeniable – yet we can’t seem to find our way to the finish line,” Hempen said. “We will give it a go again at home on Sunday.”

Sunday will be the Rams’ last chance to find a goalkeeper before conference play begins.

Freshman goalkeeper Natalie Dierickx started Friday’s match just as Hempen had anticipated.

Dierickx saw 89 minutes of work on Friday before being relieved by junior Paige Brandt in the game’s final minute.

After a somewhat rocky first half, Dierickx stopped all the shots on frame that she saw in the second half, including a big save on PSU sophomore Krystal de Ramos’ shot in the 74th minute to keep the Rams in the game.

Colorado State will jump on a plane back to Fort Collins tonight to get ready to take on the University of Nebraska Omaha on Sunday at 1 pm.

Sunday’s match will signify the end of the Rams’ non-conference opponents and will be a well-deserved trip home for Colorado State who has only played at home twice so far this season.

Collegian assistant sports editor Colton Stickler can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @coltonstrickler