Gerdin’s double overtime goal lifts CSU over Nevada 1-0

In only their second game at The Lagoon in the month of September, the Colorado State women’s soccer team earned their first Mountain West victory in over a year in a 1-0 double overtime victory over the Nevada Wolfpack on Friday in thrilling fashion.

The scene seemed all too familiar for Colorado State (3-7-1, 1-2-0 MW). The Rams, like they have been so many other times this season, were locked in a tight one with Nevada (4-6-0, 1-2-0 MW) coming down the stretch. After 100 minutes of scoreless soccer, the game came down to one final overtime period to decide a winner.

Overtime hasn’t been kind to the Rams up until this point in the season. After blowing a late lead against Boise State that resulted in a 2-1 overtime loss just five days earlier, the Rams were looking at another potential heartbreaker.

Friday was different. After mustering up only two shots in the first half, CSU came out firing in the second ultimately finding themselves on the right side of the shot count. By the time it was all said and done, the Rams outshot Nevada 14-7.

The Rams turned up the heat in both overtime periods, adding five more shots to Nevada’s zero. Colorado State’s two shots in double overtime came off the foot of sophomore forward Hannah Gerdin, who buried the game winner just minutes into the second overtime.

“It felt amazing,” Gerdin said following her game winning goal.

Gerdin, who was heavily involved on the offensive side of the ball, finished the day leading all players with five shots.

“We’re not a multi-goal scoring team,” Rams’ head coach Bill Hempen said. “That was a great way to finish and a great finish from Hannah.”

The Rams have been involved in four games decided by one goal so far in 2016, and of those four games have only escaped with the victory one time.

With so many tough losses, Hempen admitted that this one felt good.

“It feels great, winning is great,” Hempen said. “The problem is that we don’t get very long to enjoy it.”

Colorado State’s defense proved to be the difference on Friday.

In her first start since being named the full-time starter, goalkeeper Paige Brandt and the Rams’ defense didn’t give the Wolfpack an inch.

“The clean sheet is as important to the day as the victory,” Hempen said.

With UNLV coming to town on Sunday, the Rams don’t have a ton of time to soak in the victory. The Rebels bring along with them the best overall record in the Mountain West and a high-flying offense.

“We had a lot of kids play a lot of minutes today,” Hempen said. “We got to back off tomorrow, probably throw them in a pool and get as much of our life back in our legs as we can.”

If the Rams want to finish the weekend on the right foot, Gerdin knows they’re going to have to do it together.

“Just playing together as a team,” Gerdin said. “Just don’t get too cocky with this win. Just go in humble and do our thing.”

Colorado State will be back in action on Sunday, taking on UNLV at 1 p.m. at The Lagoon.

Collegian assistant sports editor Colton Strickler can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @coltonstrickler