Briefs: Culbert earns national recognition, Milone honored by MW

Culbert named AVCA Player of the Week

Adrianna Culbert is going to run out of awards to win at this rate.

Before the season, she was named the Mountain West Preseason Player of the Year. Early in the season, she won the MW Offensive Player of the Week. Monday, she was named the MW Defensive Player of the Week. Last season, she was once named the espnW National Player of the Week.

And now, Culbert has been named the Sports Impact/AVCA Player of the Week, following a historic two-game stretch. The senior posted her fifth triple-double of the season last Tuesday in a 3-0 sweep of Wyoming, setting the new CSU record for career triple-doubles. She followed that up over the weekend by posting the first quadruple-double in MW and CSU history in a 3-1 win over San Jose State.

Culbert’s 10 kills, 20 assists, 13 digs and 11 blocks against SJSU marked the first quadruple-double in the NCAA since 2010. Her six triple-doubles rank second nationally.

This is the eighth time a CSU player has won the award. Culbert’s former teammate Deedra Foss received the honor Nov. 25, 2014.

CSU moved back up to No. 20 (previously No. 21) in the latest AVCA poll. The Rams are undefeated in conference play. They are on the road this week to play at Boise State (Thursday) and at Utah State (Saturday).

Milone named Diver of the Week

CSU senior Ariana Milone was named the Mountain West Diver of the Week. It is her sixth time receiving the award – a new CSU record.

Milone won five of her six events over the team’s first three meets of the season. Four of her five winning scores qualify for NCAA Zones, including her 3-Meter springboard score. Milone won all three 3-Meter events on the year, and posted the top score (329.93) in CSU’s dual meet against Denver University.

Milone has competed at NCAA Zones the past three years. Last season, she received All-MW honors in the 1-Meter and 3-Meter.

The Rams travel to Laramie, Wyoming for their next event to compete with Wyoming in a dual meet Nov. 6.

Collegian Sports Editor Emmett McCarthy can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @emccarthy22.