Debate: Go to Tour de Fat or go to the CSU football home opener?

Fort Collins will be popping Saturday.

Both the Tour de Fat and Colorado State’s first home football game will be taking place. Unfortunately, some residents and CSU students may have to decide between the iconic bike and booze event and the football teams’ first home game.

The Tour begins at 9 a.m. while the game does not start until 2 p.m. There will be a free shuttle service from Old Town to Hughes Stadium as well.

But partaking in both will take a lot of time, energy and planning, so if you are committed to doing one or the other, Collegian sports reporter Justin Michael and entertainment editor Hannah Ditzenberger are here to lay out the case for both.

Hannah: Go to Tour de Fat Saturday 

Tour de Fat is a bustling event, known for its community-building activities — bike rides, crazy costumes, live entertainment and good beer.

Here is why I will be biking in a crazy costume Saturday instead of watching men in tight clothing charge towards each other:

1.Tour de Fat occurs once a year 

Unlike the multiple CSU football games that you can attend (there are five other home games), Tour de Fat only happens once a year. Take advantage of the opportunity, grab your bike and head downtown.

2. Tour de Fat is specific to Fort Collins 

Though Tour de Fat occurs in a few cities throughout the country, football games occur in almost every city in the nation. If you are like the majority of CSU students, you won’t be in Fort Collins forever. Enjoy the city’s personality and partake in Tour de Fat. Save the football for another town.

3. Watch football on TV instead 

It’s nearly impossible to experience bikes, beer, crazy costumes and live entertainment through a screen. However, a football game (even at the collegiate level) can be followed through television, the Internet or the Collegian’s twitter page.

4. Good beer vs. crappy beer

For those of you of legal age, both venues offer beer. However, Hughes stadium only serves Coors for football fans. In contrast to this, Tour de Fat is organized by New Belgium Brewing Company, and 11 different beers will be sold at the event. If you fancy a tasty beer, Tour de Fat is the obvious option.

5. Burn more calories at Tour de Fat 

Even if you park in the far corners of the stadium parking, the trek to Hughes cannot compare to biking around the city. Plus, that walk is awful.

6. Savannah State is predicted to be an easy win

Savannah State has lost 23 games in a row, and they are in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, which is not very impressive. Why go to a game that we are bound to win, when Tour de Fat holds endless opportunities?

7. You can dress up

Tour de Fat allows you to be as wacky as you want. Rather than limiting yourself to the green and gold that we see on a regular basis, get crazy this Saturday with the funnest costumes you can imagine. Save the t-shirts for any other game this year.

Justin: Being at Hughes Stadium should be your top priority Saturday

1. CSU’s home opener home game is about more than just athletics

Going to a home game is a full day experience, and one that is hard to rival. These are the reasons you should attend the home game Saturday.

2. Nothing beats tailgating, not even the Tour

Hughes Stadium has one of the best tailgating scenes in the country. With wide-open lots backing up to Horsetooth, there are few better ways to spend a morning than the pre-game tailgate. Whether you’re playing corn hole or just gathering around with friends, tailgating is a great way to spend time with the people you love, and take in the beautiful Fort Collins sunshine.

Even if you plan on making your way to Hughes after the festivities in Old Town, you will likely missed out on most of the pre-game excitement.

3. The marching band rules

CSU has one of the most talented marching bands in the entire nation, and they never get enough love. On top of already being the backbone to all of the student cheers, the marching band puts on a half time show that leaves fans in awe. The trombone suicide is one of the coolest moments of game day, and never ceases to impress. If you have never seen the band perform this act, head to YouTube and give it a view, although it is much more impressive in person.

4. Do your part to support student-athletes

Unlike professional athletes, these guys do not play the game for money. These student athletes dedicate countless hours to their craft, and deserve to play for a large crowd. These are your fellow students and it is extremely easy to show them the support they deserve. Free admission to football games is a luxury that students at many other schools simply do not have. CSU students have that privilege, and should take advantage of it. CSU football brings together the students, alumni and fans all together for one great cause; that cause is supporting a group of young men playing a game they love, because they love it, not because they get a paycheck.

5. Orange-Out

CSU dawns the pumpkin orange and alfalfa green uniforms once a year, and this season, Ag day is week one. One game a season Hughes looks more like Mile High, as the stands are filled with seas of orange. Ag day is a chance to celebrate Colorado State’s heritage, and usually one of the more fun games of the season. CSU has yet to lose while wearing the orange jerseys, and will try to make that streak 6-0.

Collegian A&E editor Hannah Ditzenberger can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or at @h_ditzenberger. Sports Reporter Justin Michael can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @JustinSportsCSU.