CSU women’s soccer holds off DU to capture first win 1-0

The Rams are on board in the win column.

CSU’s women’s soccer team took to the pitch for the second time this season, notching a 1-0 victory against Denver University on Sunday afternoon at Prentup Field in Boulder. The game marked the second leg of the Colorado Cup.

It got off to a bit of a scary start for the Rams when senior forward Gianna Bertana went down with an apparent ankle injury. Bethany Stivers would come in to replace Bertana.

“(Bertana) is a tough kid.” CSU head coach Bill Hempen said. “I don’t expect her to be out very long … I have no doubt she’ll be on next Friday when we play again.”

DU started the game by controlling the pace and holding the Rams without a shot the first 30 minutes of the match. But CSU would finally crack the puzzle of the Pioneers defense at the very end of the first half. The Rams capped off a strong stretch of play by forcing DU into an own goal off a cross from CSU freshman Kaija Ornes in the 45th minute, putting the Rams up 1-0 heading into half.

Entering the second half with the lead for the second game in a row, the Rams’ defense and goalkeeper Jesse McGinley were determined to hold on for the win this time around after giving up a late goal to CU in Friday’s 1-1 tie. McGinley faced four shots on net, saving them all en route to the Rams’ first win and shutout of the young season.

“It’s been a collective effort,” Hempen said. “It’s been great to watch and they’ve come together. We’ll take where we are right now.”

The first weekend of play was without a doubt a success for CSU, tallying a tie against CU on Friday and a win against DU Sunday. The Rams also showcased their depth, starting five new players in the DU game.

Colorado State (1-0-1) will travel to Phoenix, Arizona for its next match against Grand Canyon University (1-0-0) on Friday, Aug. 28 at 8 p.m.

Collegian Soccer Reporter Chad Deutschman can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @ChadDeutschman.