Highlights from CSU football’s Monday press conference

Colorado State beat San Jose 38-31 to improve to 8-1 (4-1 MW). CSU head coach Jim McElwain, left guard Mason Myers and strong safety Kevin Pierre-Louis took questions from the media Monday addressing the win at San Jose, the upcoming game against Hawaii, injuries, and being on the cusp of the top 25.

What do you take away from a road win like that and was it closer than it needed to be?

McElwain: Being able to figure out how to win games; that’s something that every program strives for. This was a great example of that. The record of that team does not indicate by any means what they are capable of. We knew that going in.

Pierre-Louis: The goal is to win the game and obviously, we are doing that. We are winning games. It does not have to look pretty but as long as we get the win, that’s our main goal and I feel like we’re accomplishing that.

What is the extent of Rashard Higgins’ injury?

McElwain: Rashard Higgins landed on his shoulder. Good news there is, when they went in and looked at it, there was nothing structural or broken in there, other than that there is a bump, and it hurts. So he probably is doubtful going into this week, and yet, I wouldn’t mark him out because of his competitive nature.

How did Garrett Grayson do playing through the pain and what’s his condition?

McElwain: What he did from a consistency standpoint, I thought he really did his job. We’re a little beat up like every team is in the country. Garrett – he’ll be alright. He’ll figure out how to get out there.

Is Dee Hart a different player than he was when you recruited him at Alabama?

McElwain: He’s different. You can tell that those couple of surgeries have changed his way a little bit. I love how physical the guy runs. When he lowers his pads, one-step cuts… he’s fun to watch. And let me tell you, his energy is good. He’s a guy who just loves to compete.

What do you know about Hawaii from your previous meetings?

McElwain: I just know that when they came in here the last time we played them, it was a dogfight until the end. I never see any quit in these guys.

Myers: Hawaii’s a great team. Their record might not show it but they have got some great players and they have got some good things happening for them.

What have you noticed about Hawaii’s deep passing game?

McElwain: They take anywhere from 8-12 shots a game. You take two shots a quarter and you put it on your checksheet, because if two of them show up, guess what? Those are explosive plays plus the idea of getting PI’s. It’s an offensive philosophy and a mindset.

What does it mean being on the fringe of the top-25 again and is there extra motivation from being snubbed again?

McElwain: I think the big thing is we’re talking about it. And yet we won’t be talking about it if we don’t take care of our business. One of the things none of us can do is control what the others think, or how we’re perceived. Part of what we have to do every week is come out and change the way people think.

Myers: It’s very exciting but you try not to look at it. Just take it one game at a time like Coach McElwain says. There’s always something to work on and try to get better. Saturday comes, you’ve got to find a way to win that game.

Pierre-Louis: I don’t look into that whole thing. We’re just winning games and that’s our goal. That’s all I worry about. I feel like that’s the only thing this team is worried about. We’re not looking into the top-25 or caring what anybody else has to say.

Collegian Sports Reporter Emmett McCarthy can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter at @emccarthy22.