Rams unable to spark conference win streak on the road against Boise State

Colorado State’s women’s soccer team was handed its second conference loss of the season on the road Friday by the Bosie State Broncos, who scored three second half goals to rout CSU 4-1.

The Broncos first struck in the 25th minute with a low hard kick from midfielder Brooke Heidemann that rolled past CSU goalkeeper Jesse McGinley into the right side of the net, putting the Rams at another early first half deficit.

Heidemann’s strike gave her her fifth goal of the season, tacking two more points on to her team-high of 12.

With two mintues left in the half, Colorado State’s Maddi Rogriguez tried to tie the match before the break with a long shot that was nearly on target, causing Boise State goalkeeper Bailey Anderson to jump to protect the right corner, but it grazed over the net.

CSU went into the break down 1-0 after controlling the ball very little in the first half, getting only three shots off with one on target while the Broncos took three shots on goal.

Colorado State got a break in the opening minutes of the second half when the Broncos were whistled for a hand ball inside the box, allowing Rams senior Jami Vaughn a penalty kick that she punched in to tie the match at 1-1 in the 52nd minute.

Just eight minutes later, the Broncos’ Dani Brown answered the penalty kick with a goal of her own off a strike that McGinley came forward and slowed with a tip, but not enough to keep it from rolling over the line to return the lead to Boise State in the 60th minute.

The Broncos checked in freshman goalkeeper Janelle Flores to replace Anderson with 20 minutes left in the match. The Rams immediately challenged the new keeper with a long run made by defender Catherine Ruder who dished it off to the Rams’ leading scorer Gianna Bertana for an open shot, but the forward sent it over the crossbar.

Following Bertana’s miss, the Broncos’ Kayla Tucker made a nifty touch inside the box to assist Shannon Shuren for a goal that put Boise State up 3-1 in the 75th minute.

Colorado State goalkeeper Maggie Sherman substituted for McGinley with five minutes to play, making her fourth appearance in a game this season, but the Broncos sealed the deal with another goal almost immediately.

Shuren bounced one around Sherman off the side post from the end line, notching her second goal of the day and fifth on the season to bring the Broncos’ lead to 4-1 in the 85th minute.

“We made enough mistakes against a good team and were unable to recover,” CSU head coach Bill Hempen said after the game. “We were beat by a much better team today.”

In the all-time conference series, Boise State is 2-0 and has scored seven goals to Colorado State’s one.

With the loss, the Rams move to 3-8-0 on the season, 1-2 in the Mountain West, while the Broncos improve to 4-5-3 with their first conference victory of the season after losing to Air Force and Colorado College last weekend.

The Rams finish the weekend at Utah State Sunday in their fourth conference match of the season.

“We will regroup and attempt to get the away conference points on Sunday,” Hempen said. “We have plenty to play for.”

Bosie State is at home again Sunday against the Wyoming Cowgirls.

Collegian Sports Reporter Sam Lounsberry can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @samlounz.