Recent CSU alumna Ashley Reid added to track and field staff

Colorado State track and field head coach Brian Benard announced Wednesday that Ashley Reid, 2014 Ram alumna and track star, will serve as director of operations for the 2014 to 2015 season.

Reid will be assisting newly-hired Ryan Baily in jumping events, taking over for former assistant Cathleen Cawley, who recently joined the staff at Idaho with husband Tim Cawley.

“It’s almost impossible for me to picture a Rams track and field team without the Cawleys, but at least I was fortunate enough to be coached and mentored by some of the field’s absolute best,” Reid stated in a press release.

Bedard said he selected Reid for her character, talent, leadership and charisma.

“We are very excited about hiring Ashley Reid to our track and field staff,” commented Bedard. “She brings great enthusiasm and passion to the job … We are excited to have Ashley begin her coaching career with the Rams.”

An all-conference honoree in the high jump, Reid was a national qualifier in the high jump and triple jump, earning honorable mention All-America honors in the high jump in 2013. She holds a spot in the CSU record book, with the fourth-highest jump in school history at 5 feet, 8.75 inches. Reid was a two-time academic all-Mountain West recipient, as well as a member of the United States Track & Field Cross Country Coaches Association’s all-academic team.

Earlier this year Reid won the prestigious Wilma Rudolph Award for displaying great perseverance to overcome tremendous adversity that threatened to derail both her academic and athletic careers. The Las Vegas native was also named Colorado State’s 2014 Fum McGraw Award co-recipient. The award is presented to the most outstanding overall student athlete who embodies academic and athletic excellence, character, leadership, service, concern for others and unwavering Ram pride.

“Being a recent, passionate, collegiate athlete graduate, I am determined to show my appreciation for what my alma mater and track and field family have done to help me mature into adulthood,” Reid stated. “I’m looking forward to taking on a new leadership role beside my fellow coaches, and doing the very best I can to set our athletes up for a future even brighter than mine when they graduate out of the very same program I did in years to come.”

Collegian Sports Editor Hannah Hemperly can be reached at sports@collegian.com.