Tonight: CSU Rams vs. Boise Broncos

Boise. Arguably one of the best football teams in the Mountain West. Invited to bowl games the last 11 years in a row, seven of which they’ve won. The team we need to beat tonight.

The Colorado State Rams have only faced off against the Broncos on two previous occasions, both times resulting in complete Ram destruction with scores of 42-14 in 2012 and 63-13 in 2011.

Currently sitting at 4-4, the Rams’ record doesn’t tell much of a story. It says, “We’ve won some games, but we’ve lost just as many.” What the record doesn’t do, is justice for the strides the team has made, and the amazing achievements made in the eight games thus far.

Let’s take a quick look at some pretty interesting points:

• CSU Football has, for the first time since 2002, back to back road wins in Mountain West Conference play.
  • The Rams currently average 33.4 points per game. The last time the Rams averaged over 30 points a game was 1997. 
  • The last time a CSU Football team had two fifty point games was in 1997. This year the Rams have already put up 59 points against UTEP and 52 points against Wyoming.
  • Kapri Bibbs (RB) has 12 rushing touchdowns thus far, which ties for most in the nation. He is also the first CSU running back to rush for three touchdowns in multiple games in a single season since 1996. 
  • Garret Grayson has only been sacked nine times this year in 179 pass attempts, which ranks 21st nationally.
  • Shaquil Barrett’s 13.5 tackles for loss tie for third most in the NCAA.
  • The last time the Rams were at .500 this far into the season was 2008.
  • Finally, let’s just take a moment to remember Bernard Blake’s intercepting Alabama’s A.J. McCarron.
  • For the rest of the game notes on the Rams, head over to the official website.

These numbers are awesome. These wins (despite how ugly, I’m looking at you, Hawaii) are awesome. This team is awesome. Four wins and four losses may not look like a great record, and for those of you not paying close enough attention, this season might not seem like a big deal. But it’s important to call attention to the fact that this team is doing things that the Rams haven’t been able to do in years. That’s something to celebrate and be proud of. Three more wins and we’re looking at a bowl game!

Tonight, the Rams play the Broncos at home. While usually a powerful team, the Broncos are not the team they’ve been in recent years. With a current record of 5-3, Boise has already lost more games this year than they have in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, and 2008. The game starts at 6 p.m MT tonight, let’s fill Hughes, Ram fans, and help our team show Boise what we’ve got.