[Live Blog] FINAL: CSU 58 v USAF 13

The Colorado State Rams host the Air Force Falcons in today’s last home game of the season, which is also senior day. A win for the Rams means bowl eligibility. Tune into the game with Football Beat Reporters Cali Rastrelli and Katie O’Keefe here:

[chatroll width=’450′ height=’500′ id=’k4iZWPKsXSb’ name=’csu-v-af’ apikey=’pyf9moqwyzkelrdx’]

Second half recap: 

In one game the Rams captured three things the current team has never had: a win over rival Air Force, a winning season and bowl eligibility.

One week after being held scoreless against Utah State, the Rams posted 58 points in a rout over the Falcons in the final regular season game. The Rams offense broke several records in the win that included quarterback Garrett Grayson shattering a 30- year-old CSU record in single-season passing yards set by Terry Nugent. Nugent threw for 3,319 yards in 1983 and Grayson surpassed that number on a 49-yard touchdown strike to receiver Jordon Vaden, giving him 3,327 yards.

He finished the game 26-of-34 for 395 yards with three touchdowns to bring his season total to 3,327 yards.

Running back Kapri Bibbs, who many thought would not play today after head coach Jim McElwain said he would probably be out, broke an FBS record with his seventh game of at least three touchdowns, giving him an NCAA best 28 touchdowns this season.

Air Force avoided a shutout when running back Cole Huntsman ran in a touchdown with 5:02 left in the game. The Falcons added another score with 2:40 left in regulation when quarterback Karson Roberts, who replaced Nate Romine, ran the ball 11 yards for the touchdown to make the final score 58-13.

With seven bowl eligible teams in the Mountain West and six bowl spots, the Rams will now wait to see if and where they will be playing in the postseason.

Final Stats

CSU

QB Garrett Grayson 26-34, 395 yards, 3 TD, 1 rushing TD

RB Kapri Bibbs 16 carries, 79 yards, 3 TD

WR Rashard Higgins 7 receptions, 127 yards, 2 TD

Time of possession: 33:32

First downs: 32

USAF

QB Nate Romine 7-13, 69 yards
QB Karson Roberts 4-7, 56 yards

RB Anthony LaCoste 9 carries, 34 yards

WR Jalen Robinette 5 receptions, 72 yards

Time of possession: 26:28

First downs: 16

First half recap:

Apparently turkey and mashed potatoes have healing qualities.

On Monday head coach Jim McElwain said both running back Kapri Bibbs and linebacker Aaron Davis were listed as “very questionable” to play in the Rams’ final regular season game against Air Force due to injuries. Less than five minutes into the game, Bibbs had his first touchdown of the day. On the Rams’ next possession, he had his second, giving him an NCAA leading 27 touchdowns on the season.

Aaron Davis came up with a big third down stop in the first quarter as the Falcons were held scoreless in the first half. Late in the second quarter they put together their best drive of the game but after attempting to convert on a fourth down, the Falcons came up a yard short and the Rams took over at their own 24.

CSU receiver Rashard Higgins came up big for the Rams in the first half after catching two touchdown passes from quarterback Garrett Grayson. His first touchdown catch came on a flea flicker play by the Rams. Receiver Joe Hansley took the snap and tossed it to Grayson who hit Higgins in the corner of the end zone for a 23-yard score. The second touchdown for Higgins came with 1:51 left in the first half to give the Rams a 27-0 lead.

With four second left in the half, kicker Jared Roberts hit a career best 54-yard field goal to put the Rams up 30-0.

First half stats:

CSU

QB Garrett Grayson 21-27, 289 yards, 2 TD

RB Kapri Bibbs 50 yards, 2 TD

WR Rashard Higgins 5 receptions, 90 yards, 2 TD

USAF

QB Nate Romine 6-10, 65 yards

RB Sam Gagliano 5 carries, 16 yards

WR Garrett Brown 2 receptions, 25 yards

Video by Keith Albertson, CTV11