Kapri Bibbs earns Capital One Impact Player of the Week honors

Do not fret Ram fans, even though Cam the Ram is losing the Capital One Mascot Challenge to Texas Tech’s Raider Red, Capital One still loves CSU.

Kapri Bibbs was voted the Capital One Cup Impact Performance Player of the Week (38 percent of votes) for his performance he posted against New Mexico on Saturday.

Bibbs rushed for 291 yards and six touchdowns in last week’s 66-42 win over the Lobos. In the past two weeks, Bibbs has scored ten touchdowns and rushed for more than 600 yards. He is the second-leading rusher in the nation with 1,439 yards, behind Andre Williams of Boston College with 1,810, and owns the top spot in touchdowns this season with 25.

In his first year as a Ram, Bibbs has had great success, and garnered plenty of national attention for the university.

“I think it’s great,” coach Jim McElwain said of Bibbs’ national status. “Colorado State is on the map because of what this kid is doing.”

Especially after last week’s performance and the subsequent award, even the big dogs in sports are taking note of a sophomore running back at Colorado State — Bibbs leaves them no choice.

Denver Post columnist Mark Kiszla tweeted out Thursday afternoon, “Props to @KapriBibbs. As a Heisman voter, you are my short list now. Good work. Nice stuff.”

He isn’t the only one, there is a trending hashtag on Twitter: #BibbsforHesiman, as well as some calling for him to go straight to the NFL.

Throughout it all, Bibbs has remained a humble boy from Harvey, Illinois — a self-proclaimed hard worker who is thankful for what he has. He tweeted out 2 days ago; “Proud to be a Ram, happy I stuck with it.”

Football Beat Reporter Cali Rastrelli can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @c_rasta5