CSU volleyball takes down Nevada in four sets

volleyball2
The Rams continued their undefeated season at Nevada on Thursday night with a 3-1 victory over the Wolf Pack. CSU improves to 13-0 (4-0 Mountain West) on the 2013 season, still leading the conference.

On Thursday night the CSU volleyball team improved to 13-0 overall after its first match against Nevada. The match was forced to set four after a comeback effort in set three from the Wolf Pack.

The Rams turned it around in set four to secure their undefeated record on the season, winning (25-22,25-12,17-25,25-15).

“We weren’t serving them tough enough, so that allowed them to get some momentum and get back into the game,” Head Coach Tom Hilbert said. “In set four, we just sort of picked it up again, outside hitting was good, got some more aces and we ended up winning.”

Colorado State continued its conference road series at 3-0. The Rams go on to power through the Mountain West at 4-0, 4-2 against Nevada and 3-1 under Hilbert. Nevada continues its slump in the MW to 0-3 after the failed comeback on Thursday night. The Wolf Pack dropped to 2-13 overall and 1-3 at home.

To begin play, CSU took control in set one prior to Nevada advancing on a four point run. The Wolf Pack shot out to a 24-18 lead before the Rams took set one. The court remained in the hands of CSU until Nevada shut down the Rams’ versatile offense in set three.

Hilbert called CSU’s first timeout of the night after Nevada built a five-point cushion, trailing 18-13 hitting. Marlee Reynolds had the team high of three kills in set three.

On every missed serve and attack, points are lost and opponents draw closer. Nevada took advantage of the opportunity, forcing the fourth frame.

The immense kill totals for the Rams allowed the Wolf Pack to move in. CSU had 16 errors on the attack and 8 serving.

Sam Willoughby contributed to the Wolf Pack offense with 15 kills hitting .619.

The Wolf Pack’s leading hitter Tessa Lea’ea was held to 6 kills hitting .043. She averages 2.94 kills per set and 1.26 blocks. Ranked fourth in the MW for blocks-per-set and 54th nationally.

For the Rams, Adrianna Culbert, Samantha Peters, Michelle Lawrence and Reynolds ended the night with double-digit kills. Reynolds lead with 13 hitting .455.

CSU concluded its three consecutive road games as they return to Moby next week for two games. The expectation to continue an undefeated remains for the rams.

“Every road win is tough and we need to play consistently on the road,” Hilbert said. “Now we need to win every home game.”

Collegian Volleyball Beat Reporter Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com