CSU Women’s basketball travels to Boulder to take on undefeated CU

David and Goliath. The Tortoise and the Hare. The Little Engine that Could. If these childhood stories have taught us anything, it’s to never rule out the underdog in any circumstance.

The CSU women’s basketball team hopes to follow in their footsteps as they continue their current winless road trip in Boulder on Wednesday against the Buffaloes who are currently 6-0.

As both Fort Collins and Boulder residents know, the game means more than just coming away with a win or loss.

“Both schools have a lot of Colorado players on their rosters, we have three seniors that have done a fantastic job helping everybody else understand what it means to play Colorado State, and how important it is,” CU-Boulder head coach Linda Lappe said. “Hopefully it’s a legacy that will live on when those three leave.”

Both teams have players that will see game time Wednesday without experiencing a CU-CSU rivalry before, including freshman guard Taylor Varsho, who has been starting for the Rams all season.

Varsho has been relying on her teammates to paint the CU-CSU picture for her.

“They always say that (CU guard) Chucky (Jeffery) is a great player, and probably going to the WNBA next year. You just have to treat her as a regular player and guard her the best you can,” she said. “She is going to get some shots here and there, but we can take some of that away with the defense we’re playing.”

Jeffery leads the Buffaloes in assists, steals and rebounds. She is also second on the team in scoring, averaging 11.8 points per game.

The Rams will enter Wednesday’s game riding on three consecutive losses, facing a team that has yet to lose a single game this season.

“You can’t make it a bigger deal than it is, it’s just another game,” junior forward Sam Martin said. “We just have to go out there and prove ourselves. We haven’t played that well these last few games, and Wednesday is another chance we get to try.”

CSU is faced with its biggest task of the year with the possibility of having to do it without one of its star players.

Senior forward Meghan Heimstra is questionable for Wednesday after leaving the game at Bowling Green on Saturday with a head injury.

“Obviously Meghan is a big player for us,” Martin said. “But you have to do the best with what youve got. We have to go out there and do what we can and get the win for the CU game.”

Regardless of the circumstances on each side, both teams seem to be eager for the 5:50 p.m. tip-off in the Coors Events Center.

“We’re excited for the game, it’s a big rivalry game for both schools that always brings an exciting atmosphere,” Lappe said. “We’re going to be prepared, I know they’re going to be prepared, it’s going to be a great time for fans, players and coaching staffs.”