Letters: Conservatives, find your group

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by the Collegian or its editorial board. Letters to the Editor reflect the view of a member of the campus community and are submitted to the publication for approval.

As this year’s state elections approach, the political scene on CSU’s campus is expected to get confrontational due to backlash from the 2016 presidential election results. For first-year college students, this may be an overwhelming shift from being around apathetic high-schoolers to hearing cavalier graduate students spewing leftist propaganda on the Plaza.

As a conservative student, I remember my first year of college and the shock I felt from being surrounded by so many self-proclaimed socialists.

The day President Donald Trump was elected, I repeatedly had fellow students approach me in hopes of sympathizing over how “distressing” and “horrific” the results of the presidential election had been. It felt as though the default attitude on campus was to hate our president, and that showing support or excitement about the election results was comparable to Nazism itself — an erroneous claim.

College Republicans Facebook:

College Republicans at CSU
Email: collegerepublicans@gmail.com
First Meeting: Sept. 13 at 6 p.m., Ramskeller
Welcoming 2nd Congressional District Canidate Peter Yu, Sept. 20, Lory Student Center room 372 at 6 p.m.

During my first year at CSU, I felt very isolated by my ideology, which was a mistake. I have one piece of advice for my fellow conservative-minded classmates: Do not be fooled. There is a strong conservative presence on CSU’s campus.

There are many outspoken student organizations that help keep the presence of conservative ideas alive in our college environment. There is the College Republicans at CSU, Young Americans for Liberty, Turning Point USA, the National Rifle Association Collegiate Coalition, and the Conservative Interest Group.

I currently serve as the president of College Republicans, vice president of the NRACC, and am a proud member of YAL and TPUSA. If you are a student that wants to expand upon your knowledge of politics, debate the issues or get involved in elections, then come to a meeting for one of these groups and get started. Trust me, you don’t want to go through all of college feeling isolated in your beliefs, and these organizations are a great way to meet like-minded students and expand your knowledge.

Remember, you’re not alone as a conservative, wear your MAGA and NRA hat proudly, and find your group of conservatives.

Veronica Morin

Junior Business Major

President of College Republicans at CSU, Vice-President of NRACC

To submit a letter to the editor, email letters@collegian.com. Please follow the guidelines.