Quarantine Relationships: Quarantine turned my friends into family

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by The Collegian or its editorial board.

A recent study regarding the effects of quarantine cited a risk of declining mental health due to stressors including “longer quarantine duration, infection fears, frustration, boredom, inadequate supplies, inadequate information, financial loss and stigma.”

Thankfully, frustration and boredom, not anything more serious, are the biggest stressors I’ve experienced so far.

I wouldn’t consider myself to be a homebody. Something about not being allowed to leave my house really makes me want to, and I’m not the only one struggling with this. Judging from the copious quarantine-inspired memes online, many students are suffering from boredom and frustration. 

View this post on Instagram

This meme is really just an excuse to post this fire 🔥track

A post shared by CSU Memes🐏 (@colostatememes) on

That being said, the one thing that will always put me in a better mood is hanging out with my roommates.

Since Colorado’s stay-at-home order took effect on March 26, I’ve been living in a duplex with two of my closest friends, Kendall and Nathan. We’ve lived together in this house since last fall, although I’ve known them both for much longer as we all have the same major.

Living together last semester brought the three of us much closer. Despite having different schedules, the duplex has consistently been a comfortable, happy place where we could all hang out after school and on the weekends.

That being said, the stay-at-home order forced me, Kendall and Nathan to be together all the time — much more than usual — so I was a bit nervous. As it turns out, I couldn’t have picked a better pair of roommates; I can’t imagine being stuck here without them.

I’m an introverted person but our respective schedules have aligned such that I’ve had enough time to myself. I’ve also become much more comfortable with Kendall and Nathan in that we can all be doing separate activities in the same area.

My daily routine generally consists of waking up early (definitely later than I used to wake up for class) and doing yoga, then attending my online classes. Kendall and Nathan usually join me to do schoolwork at the kitchen table, which is where I spend most of my day. 

When I need a break from school or time to think, I’ve been running or walking outside. Evenings are typically hangout time, where the three of us will watch a movie or play a board game. Highlights have included roommate pizza night, watching “Tiger King” together and sharing baked goods.

If several brutal losses in Monopoly haven’t destroyed our friendship, then nothing will.

As it turns out, I couldn’t have picked a better pair of roommates; I can’t imagine being stuck here without them.”

One of the most disappointing aspects of the quarantine is that it restricted me from seeing my friends. Given that it is my final semester at Colorado State University, this was an especially tough blow, as I may never see many of my classmates again.

When COVID-19 was becoming a serious issue in the United States, I talked to my family in Arizona quite a bit about moving back home. Ultimately I decided not to go because I was hoping that restrictions would lessen before graduation and I would be able to spend more time with friends.

Now that the stay-at-home order has been extended through to April 26, I’m not so sure that will happen. But I definitely don’t regret staying here because of how much closer I am to Kendall and Nathan now.

Allie Huber can be reached at letters@collegian.com or on Twitter @a11iehuber.