Rego: Lube is very important for healthy sex

Editor’s Note: The views expressed in the following column are those of the writer only and do not necessarily represent the views of The Collegian or its editorial board.

Progressive America is slowly becoming more sex-positive, yet there are still some topics which can cause people to shy away from the discussion.

Currently, using lubricant in intercourse has become a taboo in the United States. We need to change this way of thinking because lubricant is healthy for sex and makes it more enjoyable.

According to Merrium-Webster dictionary, lubricant is defined as “something that lessens or prevents friction or difficulty.” That’s all it is – a little something extra to use during intercourse to make the process go more smoothly.

The taboo surrounding sex in general is that it’s a dirty act. The stereotypes surrounding lube on the contrary range from demeaning labels like slut-shaming, assuming something is wrong with the person for needing to use lube or calling someone lazy.

While the topic of lube may either excite people or make them nervous, it’s important to discuss with your partner. Lube can protect your partner from becoming injured from having a lack of natural lubricant.

For most purposes, lube is used less for pleasure and more for function. Certain conditions such as vaginismus or Sjögren’s syndrome can cause the body to not produce enough moisture naturally.

Other possible injuries include vaginal or anal fistulas, tearing, bleeding, bruising and extreme discomfort if there is not enough lubricant in the process. Lubricants help protect the body from these injuries particularly with rougher sex where friction is increased.

There’s also a misconception that if a woman needs lubricant it’s because her body isn’t functioning properly or she’s not attracted to her partner enough. There are many reasons why a woman cannot produce sufficient natural lubricant. Dehydration, stress, certain antidepressants and lack of foreplay are among the most common contributors to vaginal dryness

“Lube is important for a lot of reasons, especially for anal.The body doesn’t create natural lubricants there, so lube keeps you from tearing and hurting yourself.”– KevKat Martinez, manager of Dr. John’s Lingerie Shop

Sometimes, if a partner is too large, natural lubricant simply isn’t enough, but that’s no one’s fault. There could also be pre-existing health conditions contributing to it or their body simply doesn’t produce much.

Using lubricants does not make someone any less of a person than someone who doesn’t. Based on a Simmons National Consumer survey, nearly 50 million people openly admitted to using lubricants in the U.S.

Kevkat Martinez, the manager of the sex shop Dr. John’s Lingerie Shop. Dr. John’s located in Old Town said lube can be used for a varitey of reasons.

“Lube is important for a lot of reasons, especially for anal,” Martinez said. “The body doesn’t create natural lubricants there, so lube keeps you from tearing and hurting yourself.”

20 bottles of lube per day in various sizes, with the product contributing to about 90 percent of their overall sales. They carry a large selection of high-quality products with enough variety that anyone can find what they need.

“With vaginal sex, some women (who) go through menopause or whatever are just not wet enough and that can cause friction if there’s not enough lubrication and real health problems,” Martinez said. “So it’s really important especially if you’re into really rough sex.”

Everyone who works at Dr. John’s is extremely well educated, professional and friendly. They are always happy to answer questions and share their knowledge.

Lube comes in many formulas from water-based to latex-based, so there’s something for every occasion. Lubes can also come in flavors for a little extra surprise. There are even vegan and hypoallergenic lubricants for people with allergies. All lubricants are made differently and used for different purposes.

There needs to be a more comfortable, open discussion about lubricant. Talk to your partner if there’s discomfort during sex or if you notice some difficulty with penetration. Give it a try – don’t just shoot down the idea of incorporating lube into your intercourse.

As a society, we need to move past the discomfort on the topic of lubrication. The health benefits of using lube deserves a proper discussion. 

Shay Rego can be reached at letters@collegian.com or on Twitter at @shay_rego.