As told by Tam: men’s social behavior compared to women’s

Last week I talked about girl cliques, which presented me with an interesting question. Do guys form cliques? Are there cliques associated with fraternities, sports or hobbies?

Well, I decided to do what all journalists do, and investigate the situation. I asked some of my guy friends, both in and out of fraternities, about guy cliques.

My friends in fraternities said that guys do form cliques, and it is not because they are in a fraternity. Guys end up hanging out with other guys based on interests, not on personality, according to Cody Walker, a senior fraternity member at CSU. If one guy likes to BMX  and he meets another guy who also likes to BMX, then they will hang out together even though their personalities may not necessarily mesh well. Walker explained that even in high school, guys grouped up with each other and being in a club or sport was a contributing factor to these groups. The guys had similar interests, which caused them to gravitate toward each other.

Walker also talked about being in a fraternity. He said, “Being in a fraternity allowed me to have a larger pool of people to hang out with because there were so many diverse personalities, and there are also many who are not in cliques at all who are accepting to anyone, Greek or not. I am one of those.”

The website “Dr. Glover” is primarily for men to seek help in branching out or just general advice. An article from the site says, “Groups provide a safe place for men to reveal themselves and release their toxic shame. Groups provide the ideal environment to help men realize they are not unique or alone and see first-hand that other men experience similar problems and issues.”

When I talked to men who are not in fraternities about guy groups, I received similar feedback.

Junior Craig Carlson said, “Yes I do hang out in a guy group. We all have similar interests, so it is easy to connect with them.” Carlson hangs out and plays video games, listens to music and tries different Fort Collins cuisine with his guy group of friends.

In an online article about gender differences in social interaction, it was stated that “all-male groups have a more rigid status hierarchy and more competition. … Men are likely to disagree with one another and to exhibit little agreement or positive social behavior.”

Men hang out with each other for more of a good time experience rather than a support system. They enjoy the company of one another to blow off steam or just to have a good time. Women, on the other hand, hang out in groups with each other for more of a support system. Men also hang out with each other to get a boost of competitive vibes flowing in their system.

No matter fraternity men or GDI (Gosh Darn Independent) men as well as women hang out in groups made up of their same sex, though for different reasons and motives. Men are socially more similar to woman than I ever thought.

Collegian Columnist Tamra Smalewitz can be reached at hmcgill@collegian.com or on Twitter @tamrasmalewitz.