5 African-American Inventors You Should Know

In honor of black history month here are five black inventors that have made the world a better place.

1. Dr. Patricia E. Bath (1942 – present)

Changing the face of Medicine

Invention: Laserphaco Probe.

What it does: The laserphaco probe is medical device used in surgery to treat patients with cataracts.

Why it’s important: Dr. Bath’s invention has been used all over the world and is credited for giving people their sight back.

2. Lewis Latimer (1848 – 1928)

Lewis Howard Latimer
Invention: Carbon filament for light bulb.

What it does: The invention helped make longer lasting light bulbs and was a cheaper method to making light bulbs.

Why it’s important: More people had access to electricity because of the cheaper and more efficient filament.

3. Garrett Morgan (1877 – 1963)

Garrett Morgan

Invention: Safety Hood/Traffic Signal

What it does: Safety hood would protect from smoke inhalation and toxic fumes . Morgan’s traffic signal had “stop” and “go” signs to help usher cars and prevented automobile accidents.

Why it’s important: The safety hood would later on be developed into modern day gas masks and the traffic signal gave way for traffic lights.

4. Dr. Marc Hannah (1956 – present)

XpanD 3D glasses

Invention: 3-D Technology.

What it does: Hannah is the principle scientist who engineered the computer software that companies purchase so 3-D artists can create special effects.

Why it’s important: The equipment is not only used by film studios but is also purchased by engineering and medical research firms to create 3-D graphics in their designs.

5. Frederick McKinley Jones (1893 – 1961)

Frosty morning and Ice-cream truck

Invention: First person to invent a refrigeration system for trucks and railroad cars.

What it does: Keeps food transported long and short distance from spoiling.

Why it’s important: Fresh food!